Find the Right School for Your Child
in MA, VT, ME, RI, and NH
As passionate as families are about their children, we are equally passionate about helping their children grow as learners and thinkers.”
Four Great Reasons
You remember forever the great teachers, the ones who went out of their way to know you, support you, and encourage you to do things you didn’t think you could do.
At its root, "opportunity" means “favorable wind.”More than anything, you want your children to have opportunities in life.
Nurturing Every Student
Ask parents with kids in independent schools what they most value about the school, and they almost always say that they love the personal attention their child receives.
Families go to independent schools not because of an accident of geography, but because they identify with the school's mission, beliefs and dedication to excellence in education.
Answers to Important Questions
You remember forever the great teachers, the ones who went out of their way to know you, support you, and encourage you to do things you didn't think you could do. We still feel, even decades later, the affection and gratitude they inspired in us. Of course, there are good and great teachers everywhere, but independent schools intentionally create an environment where good teachers can become great teachers.
How does a school do that? You start by hiring the best teachers you can find and then you…
- Create small classes.
- Give teachers the autonomy to shape the program to suit the needs and interests of the particular group of students within the structure of your mission and values.
- Provide funds for professional development.
- Reward innovation and growth.
- Nurture the qualities you prize, such as deep knowledge of subject and teaching, dedication, passion, and the capacity to engage and inspire
- Free them from the constraints created by over-dependence on standardized testing to measure achievement and aptitude.
- Help them build real partnerships with parents.
Independent school teachers understand that knowing their students is a prerequisite for becoming a great teacher.
For more about independent schools go to the Parents' Guide of the National Association of Independent Schools.
See What Independent School Community Members Have to Say
“In a school like this, teachers are able to try different things and they’re not constrained by bureaucracy.”
Michael G, Independent School Parent
All the teachers really know our kids as individuals and that’s most evidenced in the reports that they write…The teachers not only know our children academically; they know them socially and emotionally.
Bill D, Independent School Parent