Diversity & Inclusion
AISNE is committed to its leadership role in advancing diversity and inclusion in our membership. The following collection of resources is not exhaustive, but we hope it might be a starting point for inspiration and information.
Educators of Color
The following were written by Michael Brosnan for AISNE member schools to use in their work.
- From Assimilation to Inclusion: How White Educators and Educators of Color can Make Diversity Work.
- Hiring and Retaining Teachers of Color: The Why and How
- Thriving in Independent Schools: A Guide for Educators of Color
- AISNE Administrators of Color Collaborative works in support of advancing leaders of color in independent schools. Check our calendar regularly to attend Collaborative meetings throughout the year.
Every year AISNE hosts the Administrators of Color Collaborative which meets three times a year and is facilitated by leaders of color in the AISNE network. Check out out our calendar for meeting dates and locations.
Gender Equality - Understanding Bias
Understanding what works (and doesn’t), we can design our schools, organizations, and businesses to achieve gender equality. Click here to learn more about the Women and Public Policy Program at Harvard.
Race, Culture and Ethnicity
Over 21 strategies, activities and media resources can be found in this guide compiled by Harvard's Making Caring Common Project. Download the full guide to be used in the classroom and with your communities.
Transgender Students and Adults
- Gender Spectrum's website and Inclusive Schools Toolkit
- Supporting the Transgender Student, an advisory written by Linda Johnson for NAIS
- Massachusetts Law Library about Gender Expression and Discrimination
AISNE-supported groups and organizations
- National Network of Schools in Partnership
- White Privilege Conference
- National Partnership for Educational Access
- Making Caring Common
- Boston Educators of Color
- People of Color in Independent Schools in New England