Find the Right School for Your Child
in MA, VT, ME, RI, and NH
"There are so many sports to choose from and they really encourage you to try new ones!"
Four Great Reasons
You remember forever the great teachers, the ones who went out of their way to know you, support you, and encourage you to do things you didn’t think you could do.
At its root, "opportunity" means “favorable wind.”More than anything, you want your children to have opportunities in life.
Nurturing Every Student
Ask parents with kids in independent schools what they most value about the school, and they almost always say that they love the personal attention their child receives.
Families go to independent schools not because of an accident of geography, but because they identify with the school's mission, beliefs and dedication to excellence in education.
Answers to Important Questions
At its root, "opportunity" means “favorable wind.” More than anything, you want your children to have opportunities in life, to have those favorable winds that will take them where their nature, experiences, passions, and dreams guide them. What kind of opportunities will your child have in independent schools? While each school has its own unique combination of offerings, here are some of the most common and most important.
Students have the opportunity to:
- ► test themselves against high standards of academic excellence.
- ► form enduring, meaningful relationships with caring adults;
- ► try different sports and play on an interscholastic team without being a superstar;
- ► experience the arts and music as an integral part of education and not as a kind of luxury, subject to the ups and downs of town budgets;
- ► learn how to be an effective leader (and there are many kinds of leadership);
- ► make life-long friends (parents will make them too);
- ► learn to give of themselves through community service;
- ► travel with school groups and even study abroad;
- ► experience a diverse community of students and adults, drawn from a wide range of communities and countries.
See What Independent School Community Members Have to Say
“What I like about this school is that children can choose to explore different subjects, different sports and different artistic expressions without having to always be excellent.”
Valora W., Independent School Parent
We have the opportunity in our schools to take action right now about 21st Century skills: presentation, working in groups, being able to communicate , ethics, and certain habits of mind. No need to wait for an outside entity to create policy.
Deborah B., Independent School Parent