Kingsley Montessori School, Boston, MA
Accredited by AISNE
Apply Here by submitting your cover letter and resume to Karen Diamond, Assistant to the Head of School.
Seeking an Accounting and HR Associate, reporting to the Chief Financial Officer. This role is responsible for providing support in the areas of Finance, Accounting and Human Resources, and will identify and participate in process improvement initiatives to enhance workflows and improve the work environment. This is a full-time, year-round position.
- Position Title: Business Office Assistant
- Reports to: Chief Financial Officer
- Start Date: August, 2018
Kingsley Montessori School was founded in 1987 when two long-standing neighborhood schools, the Kingsley School, founded in 1938, and Back Bay Montessori, merged. A modest school at its inception, Kingsley originally occupied one building on the corner of Fairfield Street and Commonwealth Avenue in Boston’s historic Back Bay neighborhood. Today, Kingsley serves nearly 330 students aged 2–12 and occupies two historic buildings one block apart from each other. A neighborhood school at its core, Kingsley Montessori School welcomes families from many of Boston’s surrounding neighborhoods. More than 75 percent of students reside in the Back Bay, Beacon Hill, the South End, and Fenway neighborhoods. Kingsley is one of the largest Montessori Schools in the country, holding dual accreditation by both the American Montessori Society (AMS) and the Association of Independent Schools in New England (AISNE). Kingsley Montessori philosophy combined with progressive independent school best practices attracts families in search of a strong academic program that develops the unique talents and potential of each child throughout the “Foundational Decade of Learning,” a time when children develop ways of learning that serve them for a lifetime.
Bachelor’s degree or relevant experience. 1-2 years of experience in accounting or related field is required (a related internship will satisfy this requirement). A degree in accounting or business management is strongly preferred. This position commands the ability to solve problems, effectively and efficiently in a service-oriented manner, good organizational skills and computer proficiency, particularly with Excel. In addition, Kingsley uses the Financial Edge software. Experience with Financial Edge or a like product would be helpful, though we will train the right candidate.
This position will enable the successful candidate to gain significant professional experience in business, operations, and human resource management within a vibrant, mission driven, educational setting. The variety and scope of this professional opportunity will provide valuable work experience for the successful candidate that will develop a wide range of transferable skills that apply to a range of employment opportunities and market sectors.
This position reports to the Chief Financial Officer, and is responsible for providing support in the areas of Finance, Accounting and Human Resources, and will identify and participate in process improvement initiatives that enhance workflow and/or improve the work environment. The position requires excellent attention to detail and the ability to work in a group as well as independently. Ability to handle multiple priorities and deadlines is essential. This position requires the ability to work with changing schedules and priorities in a fast-paced environment. Knowledge of applicable employment laws and regulations and benefits administration a plus.
The following are specific responsibilities of this position:
- Assist in overseeing Kingsley’s operating budget.
- Perform financial budget reporting as needed (regular budget vs actual review, board meetings, etc).
- The incumbent will liaison with various departments, including but not limited to the Educational Divisions, Human Resources, Advancement, IT, Marketing, Admissions, and the faculty and staff.
- Lead the onboarding process for new employees (help employees sign up for benefits, perform background CORI and SORI checks, health checks, etc), and manage the process of ending benefits for departing employees.
- Manage the Qualified Transportation Program for faculty and staff.
- Provide backup support on payroll, as well as responding to questions on benefits and claims resolution.
- Assist with Workers' Compensation, FMLA, short-term disability claims, COBRA, and Unemployment Compensation.
- Maintain compensation and employee salary budget.
- Prepare information for year-end audit, retirement plan audit.
- Assist with tax filing preparations to complete form 5500, and 990.
- Assist the Human Resources Consultant with personnel records and legal compliance.
- Assist in the implementation of an employee wellness program.
- Support the work of the Chief Financial Officer with other operational tasks and projects as assigned.
Physical Work Environment
- Must have the ability to meet the physical demands of sitting or standing for prolonged periods of time at a desk computer workstation, and using a repetitive arm, and finger movements as required for computer input.
- Must have the ability to work in an open office setting with frequent in-person interaction and numerous interruptions.
- Must have the ability to manage multiple projects at one time and to set priorities as needed
The position is a full-time, year-round position with a generous benefit plan which includes but is not limited to four weeks’ vacation, paid holidays, TIAA matching retirement program, life insurance, and comprehensive health insurance.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to send resume and cover letter to:
Assistant to Head of School
- Human Resources