Tenacre Country Day School, Wellesley, MA
Accredited by AISNE
Located in Wellesley, MA, a suburb of Boston, Tenacre is a 200-student pre-k through 6th grade co-ed independent school founded in 1910. We live by our mission: to nurture and challenge each student, every day.
Reports to: Head of School
Full time, exempt salaried position
Starting date: July 1, 2020
Currently situated in the front office, the administrative assistant is often the primary point of contact for the entire Tenacre community. The position is responsible for being a kind, welcoming presence, ensuring clear, respectful, attentive and effective communication with all constituencies and smooth operations of the front office. Additionally, the administrative assistant will serve as assistant to the head of school. Tasks will need to be completed independently, improving efficiency and advancing and supporting Tenacre’s mission. Presence is required at various school functions. Twelve-month work year, in which weekly hours may exceed forty. Exempt, administrative position.
- Provide administrative support to the head of school: assist with communications; maintain head’s calendar and schedule appointments/meetings; help follow up on matters discussed or decided as determined by the head of school and/or the administrative team; support communications for the board of trustees; serve on committees and perform tasks, as assigned.
- Responsible for the efficient and friendly operation of the front office; process high volume of communications (phones, emails, in-person), handling or redirecting to others questions, requests and information, on a timely basis; welcome, sign in and assist all visitors.
- Maintain student files and database; schedule parent conferences; work with others to prepare progress reports for release; manage annual parent forms; work with head and others to maintain school calendar and to produce the parent directory and handbook.
- Provide administrative support to the board of trustees, including communications, coordinating board and committee meetings, distributing agenda and meeting materials, and updating member and committee leadership lists.
- Coordinate secondary school application process: parent communications; materials management; ISEE exam set-up; and assembling and emailing completed applications for each applicant to their selected schools.
- Organize and coordinate various staff, parent, trustee and corporation meetings and events, including announcements, list of attendees, event coordination and set up, and arrangements for food/beverages. Meet weekly with FLIK chef manager to review upcoming events and catering requirements, and to schedule meetings with those responsible.
- Provide administrative support to faculty for special student activities/events; and support all other departments, as needed (e.g., Nurse, Admissions and After-School).
- Support Tenacre Parents’ Association and individual families, as needed.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to perform these essential duties, as well as the physical requirements. This list is intended to be illustrative, but not exhaustive. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job, unless those accommodations would impose an undue hardship on the School.
- Supervisory Responsibilities: Supervise part-time office work.
- Education/Experience: Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent; or four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience in a similar role is helpful.
- Special Knowledge, Abilities, and Skills: The position requires excellent interpersonal skills, the ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety of people, strong organization skills and ability to set priorities, attention to detail, good writing/editing skills, a commitment to teamwork, and a good sense of humor. Need working knowledge of office practices and procedures and possess facility with the Google suite of educational applications, FileMaker Pro or similar software. Must be able to cope with frequent interruptions and calmly multi-task in a busy environment.
- Judgment and Complexity: Work is performed under the general supervision of the head of school, following a wide range of procedures that require judgment and initiative. Duties allow latitude in choice of action and initiative in determining needs and implementing improved methods and procedures, while referring appropriate situations to the head. Position requires confidentiality, flexibility and the ability to anticipate needs and deal with the unexpected.
- Personal Contacts: Work involves contact with parents, students, faculty, staff and trustees. Position requires courtesy, tact and discretion, since improper handling may adversely affect members of our community or the school’s image.
- Physical Requirements and Work Environment: The physical requirements and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job, unless those accommodations would impose an undue hardship upon the School.
- Work involves keyboarding, filing, and use of office equipment. The employee regularly works in an extremely busy environment with many interruptions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The employee has to ascend and descend stairs.
To apply please send to Will Crissman, Head of School, at email@example.com
- A resume and cover letter
- The names and contact information of three references including one direct supervisor (past or present) and one colleague (past or present). Note: references will not be contacted without your notification and consent.
We invite you to visit our website to learn more about our school. https://www.tenacrecds.org
Tenacre welcomes candidates who will add to the diversity of our community and encourages diverse candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
- Administrative Assistant
- Assistant to Head of School