Buckingham Browne & Nichols School, Cambridge, MA
Accredited by NEASC
Position Open: Administrative Assistant to the Upper School Director
Date Posted: March 2021
Start Date: May 2021
Reporting to: Upper School Director
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
BB&N seeks an experienced Administrative Assistant to serve beginning May 1st, 2021 as the Upper School Assistant to the Director (AAUS).
The AAUS will help guide the efficient operation of the Upper School by meeting the administrative needs of upper school programs and providing direct administrative assistance to the Upper School Director. The position of AAUS is central to the effective operation of BB&N’s Upper School. This person serves as a source of information for students, parents, faculty, and visitors, and helps to ensure the smooth operation of the day-to-day activities of the Upper School Campus.
Specific responsibilities include accurately maintaining the calendar for the Upper School Director, coordinating Upper School events and meetings, providing general administrative support for the Upper School Office, and corresponding with faculty, students, and parents as needed. The successful candidate will not only learn existing systems and structures quickly, but will demonstrate resourcefulness by designing efficient support and administrative structures. The AAUS also assists with the organization and maintenance of records and the filing of reports, ensures absolute confidentiality of information, files, and records, and helps to coordinate the Upper School calendar, numerous events & programs, as well as other duties as assigned by the Upper School Director.
This position is a 12-month position with work hours of 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Occasional meetings require the Assistant to the Upper School Director to be available before or after these hours. We seek a resourceful, open-minded, and flexible individual able to manage and navigate administrative responsibilities within a fast-paced, dynamic community of teachers, students, and their families.
Skills and Competencies:
An education beyond high school (a bachelor’s degree or equivalent) is preferred. At least five to eight years of administrative experience with communication and confidentiality responsibilities is preferred. Experience in an educational environment is also strongly preferred.
- Computer literacy with strong skills in G Suite, Microsoft Office and other database software (preferably Veracross); adept at learning new software
- Strong writing, grammar, and proofreading proficiency
- Ability to manage multiple projects to deadline
In addition, the AAUS must:
- Strong commitment to working in and fostering an equitable and inclusive community
- Advanced communication skills
- Be highly organized, able to multi-task, and a self-starter
- Ability to work both independently and cooperatively, exercise judgment and creativity, and willingness to work with others as a team
- Excel at problem resolution and possess a willingness to find new solutions
- Handle privileged information with discretion and tact
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule, including an occasional evening, weekend, or early morning
Please visit BB&N’s employment opportunities page to complete your online application. Please upload your Cover Letter, Resume, and Reference List.
Buckingham Browne & Nichols School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, gender identity, national origin or ancestry, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any non-job related physical or mental disability. We welcome candidates who will increase our diversity; we encourage candidates of color and all diverse candidates to apply.