Shady Hill School, Cambridge, MA
Accredited by AISNE
The Shady Hill Auxiliary Program is seeking an Afterschool Study Hall Teacher for Grades VI-VIII for the 2019-20 school year. This is a part-time position. We are seeking a dedicated, dynamic, and engaging professional to join our experienced Afterschool team to assist students in the completion of their homework.
For 100 years, Shady Hill has been a leader in progressive elementary education and Afterschool is part of that tradition. The program allows children to explore their worlds and test their powers; we seek to develop independent, joyful and curious learners who respect their own accomplishments and those of others. As a diverse school, we believe that a varied and inclusive community is an educational and moral imperative that empowers us all. Therefore, we especially welcome applications from candidates who will contribute to our multicultural community.
This position will be responsible for ensuring that all Afterschool students in Grades VI-VIII have the opportunity to work on homework in a safe and supervised space. Study Hall is available to all students in Grades VI - VIII from school dismissal until 5:45 PM.
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 2:30 PM – 6:00* PM
Wednesday: 11:30 AM - 6:00* PM
* Afterschool staff are required to stay until the last child leaves on a rotating basis
Occasional attendance for orientation meetings, planning meetings, and special school events may be required.
- Meet with/observe Gradeheads to ensure continuity in teaching and learning and to understand the homework requirements of each child.
- Provide structure and organization for students; teach routines, procedures, and time management to ensure homework is achievable for all students.
- Assist in tracking students’ attendance to ensure that all students in Grades VI-VIII are using the Study Hall service as intended. Also responsible for dismissing students to authorized care-givers.
- Coach students through material that they may not understand; some students may require material presented in alternative ways.
- Assist students in making a plan for homework that may have to be completed at home.
- Properly complete and submit required paperwork on time.
- On Wednesdays assist with Lunch Bunch (students in Pre-K through Grade II) and early dismissal; this includes making sure enrolled students have arrived, have eaten lunch, and have activities to do.
- Other tasks as required to ensure the smooth running of the program, including involvement in half-day programming, and Discovery Days.
- Bachelor’s degree in teaching or related field.
- 3-5 years of experience working with middle school students, ideally in a classroom setting.
- Organized, punctual, flexible, and responsible.
- Demonstrable skill in coaching and mentoring students, maintaining a friendly and calm demeanor, and engaging in appropriate communication with students, coworkers, and student families.
How to Apply: To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to include “Homework Coordinator Grades 6-8” in the subject line of the e-mail.
For a description of the school, refer to: www.shs.org. Shady Hill is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We offer competitive salaries and a generous benefits package, including medical, dental and vision insurance plans, a school-matched retirement plan and paid time off.
- homework help