Fryeburg Academy, Fryeburg, ME
Accredited by NEASC
Fryeburg Academy, a 575-student day and boarding high school in Western Maine and the Mount Washington Valley, seeks an innovative Mathematics teacher beginning September 2021. This full-time position involves teaching five math classes. Candidates must be proficient in math. The job will include instruction in AP Statistics as well as high school algebra. The successful candidate will demonstrate the enthusiastic ability to work with students from a variety of backgrounds and cultures, and with a diverse range of academic interests and skills, including some who are in need of remediation.
Preference will be given to candidates with teaching experience and developed, varied strategies for teaching math. Fryeburg faculty have significant responsibilities connected with the school's boarding program and extracurricular offerings. The Academy is therefore looking for individuals who enjoy working with high school students both in and out of the classroom and who wish, through commitment to a variety of roles, to strengthen its community. Experience working with students outside of the classroom- tutoring, coaching, in a residential or camp setting, or as an activity advisor- is a plus.
Qualifying Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, Dispositions:
- A strong belief in independent education, and particularly the mission of Fryeburg Academy
- Ability to work with, encourage, and inspire students to seek continuous growth
- Ability and desire to innovate in the classroom
- Excellent communications skills, both oral and written
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively while maintaining high professional standards
- A willingness to work with students of all backgrounds and abilities
- Outstanding knowledge of subject matter
- Understanding of how students learn and best pedagogical practices in mathematics
- A desire to work with students both in and out of the classroom. In particular, a willingness to serve as an academic advisor for a group of 8-12 students for their four years of high school.
Interested candidates should submit an application, letter of interest, résumé, college transcripts, and three references to Amanda Fusco, Executive Assistant to the Head of School and Student Records Manager (email@example.com).
Fryeburg Academy employees are subject to Maine Dept. of Education Criminal History Record Check.
Fryeburg Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer