Thayer Academy, Braintree, MA
Accredited by NEASC
Apply here by sending a resume and cover letter. Please include job title in the subject line.
Role & Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Director of Plant & Operations, this working position helps manage a comprehensive facility maintenance &repair program for campus buildings and utility infrastructure, including HVAC, water, gas, sewer, and electrical systems. The Assistant Director helps operate, maintain, or oversee major building technology systems such as building automation management, lighting control, fire and life safety, and elevator systems. This position is Essential and subject to a 7-day/week span of operation.
· Will become progressively responsible for personnel supervision, including in-house maintenance & grounds technicians plus outsourced cleaning staff and safety officers. Along with the Plant & Operations Director, participates in staff performance evaluations, training & development, and discipline.
· Ensures compliance with local, state, and federal regulatory requirements, including work safety regulations. Oversees inspections of all building systems as needed for compliance (boiler, fire alarms, elevators, etc.).
· Manages the digital work order system and assigns all work orders originating from building users, using established processes and develops new processes as appropriate.
· Oversees regular cleaning of the school, supervises the day porter and the night housekeeping staff; manages any contracted cleaning services.
· Provides Plant & Operations support for campus events (e.g., setups and takedowns).
Qualifications & Education Requirements
· Minimum of an Associate Degree or High School Diploma/GED, with an equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
· Administrative experience in facilities management, facilities planning, and prioritization of needs.
· 5 years of related experience preferred, ideally in an independent school environment
· Must have knowledge of facility maintenance and construction skills to include general carpentry, plumbing, service & repair of electrical systems, maintenance of equipment & fixtures, and landscaping.
· High degree of organizational and people management skills.
· Demonstrated experience with HZMAT, OSHA, Digital Building Controls, sustainability and work order systems.
· Must possess and maintain a valid Massachusetts driver’s license.
Physical Requirements & Work Environment
- Frequently lift equipment and materials weighing 50 pounds or more.
- Crawl, climb ladders, twist, turn and reach in completing a variety of job duties.
Work outside in hot or cold conditions for extended periods of time.
- Physical Plant