- Upper School
Beaver Country Day School, Chestnut Hill, MA
Accredited by NEASC
Beaver Country Day School—an independent day school located just outside of Boston, serving grades 6-12—seeks a creative, innovative, and forward-thinking Upper School English Teacher. This is a full time position that will report directly to the Head of the English Department and the Head of the Upper School.
About Our School & Our People:
We are not your typical independent school. We think (and operate) more like a start up. Our business is providing a future-focused education rooted in real world context and experience and our clients are our students.
The Beaver mindset and approach to teaching place our students at the center of learning experiences in all settings, curricular and co-curricular.
- Our students in grades 6-12 are interesting and passionate individuals, who, above all, are genuinely happy to be at Beaver. We provide students with opportunities to be co-creators of their learning, making it a deeper, more meaningful experience. We are committed to providing an educational environment in tune with the real world and doing authentic work.
- Our teachers and educational leaders are committed to—and excited about— expanding the nature of school, and igniting and fueling the passions of all our students.
- Our mindset is to make excellent mistakes, launch/test/refine, and not be defined by binary thinking. Instead, we look to approach things from a both/and outlook: tradeoffs don’t have to be the answer and instead, that’s where creativity comes in. We are a community of creative thinkers and doers.
- Our values include collaboration, partnership, and above all, creating a diverse, inclusive, and equitable environment for our community. This work is a priority and steadfast commitment. It is never “done”, and we will always make decisions with this at the core of who we are. For all Beaver students to feel a sense of belonging, it’s important that they see themselves reflected in the community, curriculum, and all our programming.
- Our goal every day is to create a school that is making an impact – for our students, and for education as a whole. We don’t take that work lightly, we need people that are relentlessly committed to it and excited to do this work—together.
About the Position:
Beaver Country Day School seeks a dynamic Upper School English Teacher to teach grades 9-12.
Competitive candidates will demonstrate the following skills and mindsets:
- Content expertise.
- Knowledge in differentiated instruction and assessment.
- Willingness and ability to design curriculum.
- Collaborate on and implement innovative pedagogical initiatives that focus on student-first, hands-on, experiential learning.
- Willingness to participate fully in the community beyond the classroom is essential.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice work.
- Collaborate and participate actively in the work of the English Department on innovative curriculum development, project-based learning, and assessment.
- Utilize technology to enhance instruction and student learning.
- Post resources, feedback, and assignments on Canvas in a timely manner.
- Communicate effectively with students, faculty, and parents/guardians.
- Provide frequent, constructive, objective, and prompt feedback to students.
- Commitment to working in and fostering an inclusive community.
- Actively participate in professional learning opportunities.
- Seek and constructively use professional feedback.
- Model organization and preparation to meet all professional responsibilities reliably.
Additional things to know
- We take cleaning and building safety seriously, you can feel confident in an attentive and flexible model of work that prioritizes our community health at every step.
- Generous Benefits (Health, Dental and more) For more information visit our website
- Breakfast and lunch provided, as well as coffee and snacks.
- Free parking, and close to the green line T