Birches School, Lincoln, MA
Accredited by AISNE
The Middle School (MS) team is seeking a Math Teacher for grades 6, 7, and 8. This team is composed of three experienced teachers in the areas of math, science, and humanities, who share a strong desire for collaboration in curriculum design and teaching. The position includes MS Student Advisory responsibilities. We emphasize project-driven units that cultivate the academic and social development of students.
Equity and inclusion are core values at Birches School. We are passionate about and committed to building diversity within our PK-8 school and sustaining an inclusive and equitable working and learning environment for all students, staff, and faculty. We believe every member of our community enriches our diversity by exposing us to a broad range of ways to understand and engage with the world, identify challenges, and to discover, design and deliver solutions. The Birches School mission is to nurture students' innate curiosity and creativity in harmony with the natural world. Birches students embody empathy, inclusivity, integrity, teamwork, and a passion for learning.
Summary: The Birches Middle School Math Teacher works to help students continue to build a strong math foundation, master “the how and why” (algebra readiness), help with independent work, and fill in gaps needed for advancement to next level math class. S/he/they implement strategies for developing focus, scope and sequence, and stress management in an atmosphere that promotes enjoyment of math. S/he/they teach techniques for building math skills, mastering problem solving, and accurate computation. The Birches Middle School Math teacher helps to track and customize assessments that pinpoint students’ needs, meets them where they are, and takes them where they need to go. A love of teaching and learning, a creative and innovative mindset, positive classroom management techniques, and a true and demonstrable desire to collaborate are essential qualities for all Birches School employees.
Direct report: Head of School
- Plan and implement the Middle School Math Program for grades 6, 7, and 8 with a strong forward thinking vision for preparing students with foundations needed in high school level math
- Organize weekly class time
- Select and coordinate activities related to presentation of math projects to the community
- Direct and run math lessons
- Co-plan and run Middle School Advisory
- Select books, equipment, and instructional programs/assessments related to math
- Maintain school equipment inventory and manage all related materials
- Communicate each student’s progress with MS teaching team, identifying students’ needs related to math class and strategizing methods of support for each student
- Communicate with Birches Community about math related activities
- Contribute to each student’s semiannual Progress Report
- Participate periodically in curriculum development related to integrating Thematic Unit Topics (Science/Humanities) into math curriculum each year, where/when applicable
- Attend routine staff meetings
- Lead MS field trips and student team building activities
- Contribute to AISNE Self-Study documentation as it relates to math program