Applewild School, Fitchburg, MA
Accredited by AISNE
Applewild School seeks an experienced and strategic business leader to serve as Business Manager/CFO. This is a retirement replacement, so the position formally begins on July 1, 2020 but an earlier start is welcomed. The Business Manager/CFO reports directly to the Head of School.
The ideal candidate for this high-profile position will be both an effective administrative leader who can manage information, people, and processes, and a strategic thinker who has exceptional leadership and critical thinking skills. Our goal is to recruit a professional who will have the acumen to determine what policies, technologies and programs need to be adapted to respond to the needs of the school and its strategic priorities. The candidate will be proficient with accounting systems, cash management, human resources, accounts payable and receivable, and financial aid. Demonstrated leadership in implementing change, fostering a high level of teamwork and customer service while embracing technological advancement is required.
The Business Office is fortunate to have strong financial and accounting staff so the role will have the freedom to focus primarily on operational elements but will oversee budgeting, tuition assistance, expense control, asset allocation, financial reporting, accounting controls, cash management and banking relations, capital budgets, operational procedures, and risk management.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve on the school’s Senior Leadership Team;
- ollaborate with school leaders in Academics, Development, Marketing, and Admissions;
- Attend Board meetings and serve on Board committees as appropriate and agreed upon with Head of School; participate in governance related matters as appropriate;
- Chair Safety Committee; and
- Lead change management initiatives that drive operational excellence by influencing and engaging others to implement or improve systems that enhance the parent, student, employee experience.
- Accounting Manager, Bookkeeper/HR Coordinator, Accounting Clerk, Office Manager/Medical Assistant, Food Services Director, IT Director, School Nurse, and Facilities Director.
- Oversee the financial operations of the school to ensure the financial health of the school; develop short and long-term strategies regarding key drivers; oversee the financial reporting, internal control, policies and procedures development, collaborate in annual and multi-year operational budget planning, and manage the capital budget.
- Collaborate with Director of Admissions on Financial Aid matters to support tuition revenue and enrollment.
- Oversee all banking activities and management of all Applewild cash and investment accounts and ensure adherence to the approved investment policies of the board;
- Ensure the safety of employees and students in their use of the facilities and to maintain appropriate levels of insurance to protect the property and to cover the liability of the school;
- Ensure legal and regulatory compliance regarding all financial functions; and
- Act as liaison with legal counsel on all risk matters.
Operations and Risk Management
- Ensure the effective management of the human resource function, food services, IT department, transportation, and health services operations.
- Ensure the safety of employees and students in their use of the facilities and to maintain appropriate levels of insurance to protect the property and to cover the liability of the school.
- Ensure school buildings and grounds are maintained to a high standard, remain compliant with all city and federal requirements, and systems inspections and annual maintenance programs are maintained;
- Work with Head of School for planning short and long-term facility projects; and
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL SET
- Demonstrated leadership, organizational, strategic, and management skills along with outstanding interpersonal skills and the ability and patience to lead change and continuous improvement initiatives;
- Ability to work with a wide range of people—prospective and current students, parents, faculty, staff, vendors, donors;
- Ability to think creatively and strategically, have excellent judgment and be able to work in a changing environment;
- Has a sense of humor; is a good listener; open to learning from others;
- Ability to effectively lead others in managing relationships and interpersonal dynamics, navigate conflict well, and foster a positive work environment; possesses strong collaboration and team-oriented working and leadership skills;
- Possess excellent communication, listening, interpersonal skills; the willingness and ability to engage in difficult conversations with faculty, staff, students, and parents; ability to give timely feedback with the interest of growth and development;
- Able to decipher and contextualize large amounts of information and data;
- Possess strong computer skills including working knowledge of MS Office Suite;
- Fluent in English Language
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Ba Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or related field required; MBA preferred. Minimum of 5-7 years of experience in a leadership role; non-profit experience a plus. Experience with Blackbaud Financial Edge preferred.
ABOUT APPLEWILD SCHOOL
Founded in 1957, Applewild educates children in preschool through ninth grade. The school has two campuses: Fitchburg-26 acres, 10 buildings for co-ed day PK-9 and boarding 5-9th grades; Devens-single building with PK-2nd grade. At Applewild, we believe that the ages of four to fifteen are the most important in a child's education, the foundation upon which all future success is built. We empower students to discover their passion for learning and pursue excellence in academics, arts, and athletics in our supportive environment. The Core Values and Competencies we promote and the relationships we foster among all members of our diverse community prepare our students t be confident learners and engaged citizens.
$75,000-100,000 with benefits including campus housing