Cushing Academy, Ashburnham, MA
Accredited by NEASC
OVERVIEW OF THE POSITION
The Director of Marketing and Communications is responsible for the development, execution, and management of the school’s marketing and communications program that supports the mission, vision, values, and goals of the Academy. The primary objective of the Director of Communications and Marketing is to create and communicate a compelling story about the school through coordinated brand management, through planning, design, production, as well as through the distribution of print and electronic materials, publicity, and public relations.
- Oversee and manage marketing and communications initiatives and content for all print materials and digital platforms, including projects with outside vendors
- Promote consistent branding, marketing, and communications styles and standards
- Collaborate with admissions, advancement, athletics, administrators, and faculty in articulating their purpose and ongoing work, and to ensure that marketing and communication efforts are coordinated, consistent and appropriate
- Manage all aspects of the school’s print and electronic communications, ensuring the continuity of the school’s brand and logo
- Provide staff leadership to the department, day-to-day management and motivation of marketing/communications staff ensuring professional development and excellence
- Evaluate and utilize market data to drive and improve marketing strategy, including SEO
- Write timely news articles and capture/secure photographs for the website, and maintain active and engaging social media platforms; create and implement a social media strategy
- Serve as media contact and build relationships with members of the press and local communit
- Support special projects, events, and programs as needed
- Attend meetings and campus events, which may include evenings and weekends, and maintain connections with the day-to-day life of the school
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing and communications or a related field
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience, preferably in an educational setting
- Lead a team of a minimum of two employees
- Exceptional communication skills including writing, editing, production, and public relations for print, online, and social media channels
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Knowledge and experience with communications and marketing principles and fluency and analytic experience with digital platforms including social media outlets
- An active collaborator and strong team player
- Ability to cultivate and maintain productive relationships with administrators, faculty, staff, students, alumni, and parents
- Track record of successful project generation and management in the communications and marketing field; demonstrated the ability to navigate a project from concept to completion on a timely basis within budget, and respond quickly and effectively in times of stress
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple initiatives under pressure of tight deadlines
- Effective managing of agency relationships for the development, design, and production of communications and marketing initiatives
- Understanding of and enthusiasm for independent school culture
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS and WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Ability to sit in a normal seated position for extended periods of time.
- Reaching by extending hand(s) or arm(s) in any direction.
- Finger dexterity required to manipulate objects with fingers rather than with whole hand(s) or arm(s), for example using a keyboard.
- Communication skills using the spoken and written word.
- Ability to see with normal parameters.
- Ability to use a visual display terminal with continuous wrist movement on a keyboard.
- Ability to hear within normal range.
- Ability to lift and transport up to 10lbs without assistance.
This job description is intended to provide an overview of the requirements of the position. As such, it is not necessarily all-inclusive, and the job may require other essential and/or non-essential functions, tasks, duties, or responsibilities not listed herein. Cushing Academy reserves the sole right to add, modify, or exclude any essential or non- essential requirement at any time with or without notice. Nothing in this job description, nor by the completion of any requirement of the job by the employee, is intended to create a contract of employment of any type.
Catherine Pollock, Associate Head of School, firstname.lastname@example.org