- Middle School
Cambridge Friends School, Cambridge, MA
Accredited by AISNE and FCE
MIDDLE SCHOOL SCIENCE AND MATH POSITION
The Cambridge Friends School seeks a dynamic Middle School science teacher and 8th-grade mathematics position for the 2020-2021 school year. CFS is the only Quaker School in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
QUAKER SCHOOL PHILOSOPHY
Guided by our six Quaker Testimonies of Simplicity, Peace, Integrity, Community, Equality, and Stewardship, we focus on educating the whole child in an environment that best positions the child for success. Our deep desire is both to prepare the child for competitive secondary schools and beyond, and to inspire a life-long love of learning. The Quaker Testimonies inspire us to engage students in meaningful dialogue that fosters their ability to recognize, empower, and think critically about issues of social justice and equality.
SCIENCE AND MATH AND CLASSROOM SKILLS
The successful candidate will have a deep understanding of project-based, concept-based, inquiry-based, learning. We desire a candidate who has the versatility and talent to carry out all responsibilities necessary to teach in a small, inclusive school, including but not limited to the following: documenting curriculum, developing and delivering high-quality lesson plans and instruction, classroom management, and integrating social justice and issues of equity into the curriculum, while participating richly and fully in the life of the School. Candidates should hold a bachelor’s degree in Science, Mathematics, Education, or a related field; and have experience teaching mathematics and science at the Middle School level. Our ideal Middle School teacher is a passionate, compassionate, collaborative, dedicated, and reflective practitioner who uses creativity as the basis for unique lesson plans that are brought to life in a fun, energetic, and skillful way. Other desired attributes include strong leadership and communication skills and the ability to motivate and inspire a diverse range of learners in a positive manner.
This is a full-time position that may include additional supervision responsibilities of middle school students during your time on campus. We seek an experienced teacher who can help us fulfill our mission to provide an outstanding education guided by Quaker principles. The successful candidate will possess:
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably Masters, in science education or in one or more of the STEM fields
- experience developing hands-on, project and problem based curricula
- experience in teaching middle school science and math, preferably Algebra I.
- excellent oral and written communication skills.
- knowledgeable and appreciative of the developmental needs of young adolescents.
- able to differentiate instruction based on individual needs with a particular focus on project-based curriculum.
- committed to collaborating and working as part of a larger middle school team.
- able to communicate effectively with parents, both in person and in writing.
- committed to the creation and sustainability of an inclusive, anti-racist, anti-homophobic, equitable learning environment for all students.
We seek candidates who will add to the racial, cultural, and gender diversity of the school community. Qualified candidates should send a letter of interest, resume, and references to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Middle School Science Position” in the subject line. Priority will be given to applicants who apply by March 31, 2020.