Dedham Country Day School, Dedham, MA
Accredited by AISNE
Dedham Country Day School (DCD) seeks a well-qualified full-time Kitchen Chef reporting to the CFO to support the production of nutritious and mostly scratch-cooked school meals for its Food Service program, which serves lunch, snacks & beverages to approximately 280 students and 80 faculty each day. Applicants must love to cook, possess strong organizational skills, work well in a fast-paced collaborative environment, display an understanding of and enthusiasm for the school’s collegial community, communicate effectively and openly with teachers and parents about improving the food program, and enjoy working with children.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Purchase products and create menus for snacks and lunches that not only meet dietary guidelines, but also satisfy the wide variety of palates of elementary and middle school students, faculty and staff.
- Cook and/or bake food in large quantities that both promotes nutritional awareness and meets nutritional guidelines according to planned menus.
- Oversee and direct kitchen assistants.
- Understand, monitor, and meet budgetary expectations related to food and staffing.
- Provide nutritious snacks & beverages during the school day and for any events during the day and after school hours, including some weekends.
- Ensure full compliance with local and state health and sanitation codes throughout food handling and storage with accurate recording of critical temperature controls, thawing and chilling times, and the completion of cleaning procedures as per established procedures.
- Ensure food preparation, serving areas, utensils, equipment, and storage are clean for the purpose of maintaining required sanitary conditions.
- Order and receive food products from trucks, verifying accuracy and placing in appropriate storage areas for the purpose of ensuring accessibility to menu items in order to facilitate preparation.
- Operate a variety of kitchen equipment (e.g. commercial mixer, ovens, dishwasher, warmer, microwave, etc.) for the purpose of preparing food and beverage items required for meal periods and maintenance of equipment in an operating and sanitary condition.
- Estimate food preparation amounts and adjust recipes as required to meet projected meal requirements and minimize waste of food items.
- Enhance the school’s sustainability efforts via the nutritional program through procurement practices, operational practices, waste/composting/recycling efforts, etc. and provide educational opportunities to leverage these efforts in the curriculum.
- Maintain a variety of records (e.g. daily production, inventories, temperature records, sanitation records, menu preparation sheets, etc.) for the purpose of meeting children’s nutrition and health.
- Continually consider improvements including, but not limited to: menu development, system for accurate inventory maintenance, and invoice assessment for accuracy.
- Recommend new menu items and conduct taste testing with students for recipe and product acceptability.
- Respond quickly and efficiently to unexpected circumstances (e.g. cooking equipment breakdown, increase/decrease of servings with short notice).
- Cooperate with the Board of Health and provide any information requested.
- Assist with serving the Summer Horizons Food program as needed
Strong candidates will have:
- A minimum of 5 years experience
- Bachelor’s degree in foodservice management and/or degrees in culinary arts preferred
- Strong attention to detail, ability to multitask; strong organizational skills, excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- In the first 30 days of employment, a ServSafe Manager Certificate will be required for employment.
- Ability to pass pre-placement physical
- Ability to pass Cori & Sori checks and fingerprinting process
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs, and climb and stand throughout the work day
School Mission and Philosophy: DCD is proud to offer an educational experience that:
- Provides to each child a unique educational balance of challenging academics, arts, and athletics;
- Embraces an inclusive interdependent community of students, teachers, and parents that fosters trust and encourages children to take risks;
- Creates independent, resilient, lifelong learners through engaging, developmentally based teaching designed to meet varied learning styles; and
- Inspires students to become caring, ethical members of the larger world by emphasizing thoughtful citizenship and respect for self and others
At DCD, our children develop a willingness to try, and ability to do, and a drive to care. We strive to provide a multicultural and anti-bias education that celebrates the diversity of our community and prepares children with the skills they need to connect and thrive in our diverse world. We believe that a broad range of experiences and viewpoints enhances learning and enriches life for students and faculty alike. We strongly encourage applications from people of color or educators from communities that are historically underrepresented in independent schools and are committed to inclusive school experience for all who work at DCD. Additionally, DCD places a high value on the professional growth of all faculty and staff and provides outstanding opportunities for individual professional development
Application Information: Dedham Country Day School provides a competitive salary and benefits plan. Interested candidates should send a cover, resume, and names of three references to Katie Ouellette, Special Assistant to the Head of School at firstname.lastname@example.org. Dedham Country Day School is an independent, coeducational Pre-Kindergarten - Grade 8 school located just west of Boston in Dedham MA. DCD is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, gender, national origin or ancestry, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, or any non-job related physical or mental disability.