Shady Hill School, Cambridge, MA
Accredited by AISNE
Shady Hill School has an exciting new position for those interested in exploring education as a career path and looking to work in a school setting for the 2020 - 2021 academic year. The Classroom Assistant will be a full time member of our faculty. In compliance with safety guidelines and protocols, the CA will be assigned to and work primarily with one gradehead (lead teacher) and a small pod of students (Beginners through Grade IV). Placement of CAs will be based on candidates’ experience and interests in specific grade levels.
This is a temporary, hourly position. The hours of the Classroom Assistants would fall within the regular school day- 7:45 am to 3:30 pm. This offer of employment is contingent upon the School’s learning being on campus for 2020-2021 Academic Year. Classroom Assistants will not support gradeheads if instruction occurs offsite and online. Additionally, in light of the COVID-19 pandemic, the School may need to modify your duties, responsibilities, and/or schedule based on enrollment and business needs.
Primary Job Duties and Responsibilities
*May include any and/or all of the following:
- Support students to engage in on-line and/or on-campus teaching in partnership with the gradehead (lead teacher)
- Participate in and support special (live and/or virtual) events/activities as needed
- Learn, assist and integrate academic technology into curriculum and student experience (i.e. Zoom, Seesaw, Google Classroom, Swivl, etc.)
- Perform arrival, dismissal, lunch, recess, and other support duties as assigned
- Help to manage virtual classroom transitions, including supporting students who cannot be physically present as needed
- Help teachers maintain classroom and instructional materials
- Attend and support specialist classes with assigned pod as needed
- Attend faculty professional development days
- Support the tone for routines and behavioral expectations set by the gradehead
- Ensure the safety and well-being of all students and community members
Teaching Assistants will have
- Prior work experience with children preferred (i.e. camp counselor, coach, tutor)
- A strong desire to work with children under the guidance of a master teacher
- A desire to learn about multicultural and anti-bias teaching practices
- An understanding of or a willingness to learn about the social and emotional development of lower school and middle school children
- The ability to be flexible and work collaboratively with faculty in a developmentally appropriate, child-centered classroom environment
- The ability to work independently
How to Apply
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please be sure to include “Classroom Assistant” in the subject line of the e-mail.
About Shady Hill School
For over 100 years, Shady Hill has been a leader in progressive elementary and middle school education and teacher training. The year-long central subject study, which emphasizes strong content, the use of primary sources, acquisition of essential skills, and self-discovery, forms the core of our curriculum. As a diverse school, we believe that a varied and inclusive community is an educational and moral imperative that empowers us all. Therefore, we seek to hire faculty and staff who share our vision. Shady Hill is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We offer a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries and a generous benefits package. For more information on Shady Hill please visit us at www.shs.org.