- Information Technology
Saint John's High School, Shrewsbury, MA
Accredited by NEASC
Full-time Computer Science Teacher
Saint John’s is a private, Catholic high school of approximately 1,000 boys and offers an excellent teaching environment with competitive salary/benefits. Sponsored by the Xaverian Brothers, the School has a strong and storied history since its establishment in 1898. Its mission is to educate the whole man, dedicated to the spiritual, intellectual, creative, social, aesthetic, and physical development of its students.
Given Saint John’s High School’s recent opening of its Makerspace, a facility which provides distinctive, state-of-the-art resources for science, robotics, and engineering, this is an exceptional opportunity for a teacher looking to help grow and shape a dynamic connection between that space and those courses of study with our computer science department.
This is a full-time appointment open to applicants with the expertise and acumen to teach computer science courses effectively and thoughtfully. We seek a candidate who has a demonstrated talent and passion for teaching and working with adolescent boys and being part of a faith-filled education community. Excellent interpersonal skills are required. Candidates should support the mission of Saint John’s, the vision of the Computer Science Department, and be eager to join a professional community where collaboration and creativity are valued.
Required qualifications include: an undergraduate degree in Computer Science or a related discipline (a Master’s or Ph.D. would be highly valued), at least three years of high school teaching experience, proficiency in graphic design and its instruction, and experience with at least two programming languages, with a preference for Java, or a track record and willingness to learn new programming languages as needed. Further preferred skills can be found below. Candidates should also have experience teaching high school or college-level robotics programming. Finally, the ideal candidate will have experience with project-based learning and demonstrated enthusiasm for course development and modification. In addition to honor and character, and commitment to intellectual engagement, especially important is the candidate’s ease with diverse constituencies and demonstrated commitment to an inclusive school community.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Hardware – computers (Apple and PC), tablets, printers, projectors, and digital whiteboards
- Software – Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator), and grade book software
- Experience with Web Page development and design curriculum
- Experience with Graphic Design curriculum
- Experience with graphic design and publication programs (Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator)
- Interest and skill to adapt existing curriculum to provide rigorous, motivating and relevant instruction to a broad range of students.
- Build Products Using HTML/CSS/JS and Other Front-End Technologies
- Code and Deploy Applications in a Cross-Platform, Cross-Browser Environment
- Document Project Build and Maintenance
- Familiar with Development and Debugging Tools for Cross-Browser Issues
- Solid Understanding of Object-Oriented Programming (OOP)
- Write and Maintain Web Applications
- Familiar with Social Media and Third-Party APIs
- Knowledgeable of Web Application Development Frameworks
- Solid Understanding of HTML5/CSS3
- Strong Google Apps for Education skills (Docs, Sheets, Slides, Sites, etc.).
How to Apply:
The position includes a competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter of interest, resume, and a list of 3 employment references to the attention of Margaret Granados, Principal of Saint John’s High School, at email@example.com.
- computer science