The Wheeler School, Providence, RI
Accredited by NEASC
Founded in 1889, The Wheeler School is a co-educational independent day school for approximately 800 students from Nursery through Grade Twelve on two beautiful and dynamic campuses in the city in Providence, Rhode Island and “on the farm” in Seekonk, Massachusetts. The essence of our mission and vision comes down to a simple imperative reflected by Mary C. Wheeler’s founding precept: “to learn our powers and be answerable for their use.” Wheeler is a community through which we strive to make anything possible for students, where choice, inquiry, and interest are of primary import, where we know individuals well, and where we insist upon and nurture intellectual character, critical thinking, empathy, and creative spirit.
Wheeler’s Advancement Department is responsible for supporting and advancing the goals of the school by cultivating the philanthropy and volunteerism that will ensure excellence into the future. The Coordinator of Family Engagement serves as the school’s liaison for families in each of our four academic divisions, ensuring that parents and families have meaningful opportunities for connection, a forum for communication, and continuity of information about events, programs, volunteer opportunities and other areas for engagement at Wheeler.
Specifically, the Coordinator will:
- Develop, manage and execute a strategic action plan for parents that supports the mission of The Wheeler School,
- Coordinate and support the activities of the Wheeler School Parents Association (WSPA) including parent meetings, volunteer recruitment, and WSPA related communications
- Serve as lead on parent/family-centric events, such as Wheeler’s Night Out, Mind your p’s and q’s, Family Fall Fest, Wheeler Day(s), Grandparents & Special Friends Day and the Famous Wheeler Clothing & More Sale
- Coordinate with and support the Team to integrate the overall Family Engagement program into the broad-base parent/family fundraising strategy
- Manage relationships with parents serving in leadership positions in the school, including but not limited to the Parents Association and the Chairs of various events throughout the year
- Coordinate with and support the Director of Annual Giving to integrate the overall parent engagement program into the broad-base parent fundraising strategy
- Serve as liaison with the Enrollment Department to promote the effective flow of information between the offices, including the identification of families who may be candidates for volunteer and leadership roles
- Foster seamless transitions for new families, including managing all aspects of the Mentor Program that helps integrate incoming families into the Wheeler community
- Work with the Director of Strategic Communications to oversee communication with parents on a regular basis through various mediums about the school and towards the goals of informing and engaging parents
- Maintain and update the school’s database of parent information so that families are comprehensively included in school communications and programming
- Build effective relationships with faculty and staff and participate as an active member of the school community
- Support Wheeler family engagement events for enrollment, Unity and Diversity, and advancement department as assigned
- Represent the advancement department publicly and ensure that the Wheeler School's strategic priorities are reflected appropriately in parent events, communications, and personal interactions
- Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science
- Two to four years experience in communications, event planning and volunteer management.
- Prior experience in promoting the mission of an organization through relationship building and a demonstrated ability to accomplish established goals and objectives
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, demonstrated organizational skills, experience in meeting deadlines and goals, and close attention to detail on multifaceted tasks
- The ability to work collaboratively and with good humor in a mission-driven, fast-paced, team-oriented department
- High professional and ethical standards - Demonstrated writing and analytical skills as well as oral and written presentation skills
- Some familiarity or aptitude with computerized data management programs and their application to the achievement of departmental and institutional goals - Flexibility to attend evening and weekend events
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please include the position title in the subject line. This is a 12 month, full-time position with competitive salary and benefits.
Reports to: Head of Advancement
Statement on Diversity At Wheeler, we actively seek students, faculty, and staf from diverse backgrounds in the belief that a broad range of experiences and viewpoints enhance learning, enrich life on campus, and better prepare us all for full participation in a pluralistic, democratic society. The Wheeler School is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination and equal opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, or disability, and any other category protected by federal, state, or local law. Learn more about The Wheeler School at www.wheelerschool.org
- Family Engagement Coordinator