- Performance Art
Walnut Hill School for the Arts, Natick, MA
Accredited by NEASC
Walnut Hill School for the Arts is an independent boarding and day high school offering a transformational educational experience designed for student artists in grades 9–postgraduate. Walnut Hill combines a comprehensive college-preparatory academic curriculum with intensive, pre-professional artistic training in theatre, dance, music, visual art, and writing/film/media arts.
Walnut Hill School for the Arts seeks an experienced Costume Designer to join the team starting in the 2019-2020 academic year. This position works closely with the heads of Dance, Theater, and Music and reports directly to the Director of Production and Events. This is a full-time 10-month position.
Responsibilities include the following:
- Design and construct costumes including maintenance, patterning/draping for the school-year season of Theater, Dance, and Opera;
- Manage daily operation of the school’s costume shop;
- Work with students, faculty, staff, technical staff, and vendors; and
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in technical theater or equivalent professional experience;
- Demonstrated skills in costume construction techniques, principles and practices, patterning/draping, dancewear, costume crafts;
- Knowledge of theater production, operations, procedures;
- Experience in educational theater production;
- Experience in informal teaching environments and working with student workers;
- Excellent time management skills and ability to manage competing priorities;
- Self-starter and ability to work independently and as a collaborative member of the team; and
- Strong communication and computer skills.