Dedham Country Day School - Horizons Program, Dedham, MA
Accredited by AISNE
Horizons at Dedham Country Day School (DCD) is an award-winning program that helps build brighter futures for low-income children in the Greater Boston area. Modeled after the national Horizons Student Enrichment Program, Horizons’ intensive six-week summer program is designed to prevent summer decline in academic performance and close the opportunity and achievement gaps. Working in partnership with Horizons families, sending schools in Dedham and Boston, and the host school, Horizons at DCD is committed to developing the whole child and offers activities that promote higher-level thinking and perspective, leadership development and boost self-efficacy – all while raising student aspirations and expectations for their lives. For more information about Horizons, please visit www.horizonsgreaterboston.org.
Position Summary Horizons at DCD is looking for a motivated, committed individual who is passionate about making a difference and receiving higher than entry-level responsibilities. The candidate should have some volunteer/professional experience as well as the desire to take on responsibilities that will challenge themselves and make an impact on the Greater Boston community. The AmeriCorps VISTA position and the individual will work directly with the Executive Director and Program Director of the Horizons at Dedham Country Day School’s program.
Position Hours This is a full-time position beginning June 8 th 2020 and concluding on June 7 th 2021. This is a 40/hr a week position with some nights and weekends.
AmeriCorps VISTA responsibilities during the school year:
- Promoting the program in the community through traditional and social media efforts
- Implementing creative strategies for fiscal sustainability including introductory grant writing and event planning
- Researching and helping plan high school programming for students currently enrolled in the program
- Using data currently being collected to develop additional stories/case studies of our impact.
AmeriCorps VISTA responsibilities during summer programming:
- Shadowing the Executive Director and Program Director to fully understand the workings of the program
- Supporting the program director in creating systems to track the summer volunteer program
- Creating additional community awareness • Developing materials that will help market the program
- 18 years or older • College Graduate
- Passionate about education and social justice issues
- Thrives in small team settings • Self-motivated and comfortable working independently
- Some volunteer/professional experience • Knowledge of all Microsoft programs, as well as Google systems
This is a yearlong, full time, AmeriCorp VISTA position beginning 06/08/2020, and ending 06/07/2021. To learn more about the VISTA program, including the many benefits, check out the VISTA website: https://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps/americorpsvista
To apply please refer to our posting on the AmeriCorps Portal: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=93699&fromSearch=true