Beacon Academy, Boston, MA
Apply here by sending a resume and cover letter to the attention of Marsha Feinberg, Founder.
Beacon delivers a 10-year program that prepares our students to gain entry to, and succeed in, the most competitive high schools, colleges and careers. Beacon’s 10+ year commitment starts with an intensive gap year between 8th and 9th grades and continues with a robust alumni program after they graduate from the Academy. With 11.5 staff members and more than 200 volunteers, Beacon’s programs address the full range of needs that lower-income students of color experience as they enter elite educational and workplace environments. These include closing educational gaps, promoting social and emotional fluency, building confidence, and eliciting leadership qualities. Finally, we ensure that they receive the necessary financial support through scholarships from high schools and colleges to receive a great education at world-class institutions.
The Development and Communications Assistant is a new position created to support the Development Team, which focuses on fundraising Beacon’s full budget every year, coordinating volunteers, and connecting with over 1,500 people (including 270 alumni) through events and activities each year. We are looking for a dedicated, quick, intelligent, mission-driven person to join our three-person team at the entry level. Although the person will be working around students, the position is highly administrative. We are a small staff (10 full-time, 3 part-time) so fit is very important. We work closely as a team and are bold, creative, energetic, passionate, and fiercely committed to Beacon’s mission and the success of each student and graduate. Our minimum work week is 50 hours, as there is always more to do to help our students.
Responsibilities and Duties
· Data entry and record maintenance in Salesforce.
· Assist with all written and online communications – writing and editing content, creating mailing lists, printing labels, addressing envelopes, and other tasks as needed.
· Social media manager – create posting schedule and put together content for Beacon’s social media.
· Event support (over 10 major events throughout the year) – set up and clean up, running errands, preparing materials, assist with volunteer coordination volunteers, and other tasks as needed.
· Assist with general administrative tasks – for example, creating and printing nametags, managing Beacon gear, and formatting documents.
· Office maintenance – assist with organization, ordering office supplies, meeting set up, etc.
· Help schedule and organize our Founder, who has multiple meetings per day and constant external communications.
· Meticulous attention to detail
· Strong writing and editing skills
· Mastery of Microsoft Office applications
· Familiarity or mastery of Salesforce
· Mastery of social media platforms (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.)
· Ability to drive
· Ability to lift things up to 40 pounds
· Neat handwriting
Some of the benefits are:
· Two weeks vacation
· 80% coverage for health and dental insurance
· After one year, 6% match to a 401k
· Other optional benefits
$35,000 - $45,000
Level of Language Proficiency
It would be great, but not necessary, if the person speaks Spanish.
Minimum Education Required
How to Apply
Please include your resume and cover letter. Address your cover letter to Marsha Feinberg, Founder.