Shady Hill School, Cambridge, MA
Accredited by AISNE
For over one hundred years, Shady Hill, a school of 521 students (PK-VIII) and 90 faculty, has been a leader in progressive elementary education. Grades B-II pursues a variety of Thematic Studies that reflect the Central Subject Methodology by integrating areas of learning, but in shorter, age-appropriate units. Grades 3-8 engage in Central Subject, an in-depth, integrated study of a particular time or people in history. The year-long Central Subject study, which emphasizes strong content, the use of primary sources, understanding of multiple perspectives, acquisition of essential skills, and self-discovery, forms the core of our curriculum. Central Subject faculty are responsible for the skills and content in both social studies/history and language arts and with the support of performing arts and visual arts faculty, the integration of these disciplines.
Shady Hill is a deeply mission-driven school. We seek to develop independent, joyful, and curious learners who respect their own accomplishments and those of others. We strive to be a community whose values are strong and which is unafraid to engage students in important questions. The school’s program allows children to explore their worlds and test their powers. As a diverse school, we believe that an inclusive community is an educational and moral imperative that empowers us all. Therefore, we seek to hire teachers who share this commitment and demonstrate the skills of culturally competent educators.
Shady Hill School is also a teacher training institution. Its long-standing Teacher Training Course, which brings as many as eighteen apprentice teachers to campus each year, prepares talented aspiring teachers for careers in education and allows each faculty member the opportunity to be a mentor and meaningful contributor to the teaching field. Because of the school’s commitment to teacher training, the school often seeks teachers with certification.
The Shady Hill Director of Athletics and Physical Education will provide overall program leadership and continuity of the school’s B-V Movement/Physical Education and the VI-VIII grade Athletic programs. This position reports directly to the Head of the Middle School.
- Follow and promote Shady Hill Physical Education, Movement and Athletics Mission Statement:
Movement, Physical Education, and Athletics comprise a sequential program that is a vital component of our students’ physical, cognitive, and affective development. We believe in the primacy of exploration, the mastery of skills, and the development of character. Through innovative approaches, we cultivate joyful active participants who value physical activity and healthy competition.
Sustaining the mission
- Teaches skills necessary to participate and compete in lifelong athletic activities.
- Empowers children to make wise choices, demonstrate responsible behavior, and exhibit good sportsmanship.
- Provides a supportive and safe environment in which every child is challenged to grow, take risks, learn from mistakes, and persevere.
- Teaches children to develop an appreciation for individual differences and ability levels.
- Promotes cooperation, fair play, and teamwork.
- Advances leadership skills and opportunities.
- Instills confidence, self-discipline, and respect for hard work.
- Demonstrates the direct correlation between effort and achievement, personal improvement and goal setting, and the importance of commitment and responsibility.
- Teach several grades of PE/Movement and coach multiple seasons
- Serve as on site-supervisor when not coaching (in alternation with Asst. Athletic Director)
- Model and cultivate a culture of social-emotional well-being and health in accordance with The School’s mission and community values
- As a Department Chair, hire, supervise, evaluate and support PE/Athletics department and coaching staff
- Participate in Department Chairs meetings
- Manage relationships with outside vendors (Ie. Artemis Yoga and Boston Fencing Club) and coordinate programming
- Oversee all scheduling needs with help of Assistant Athletic Director (contests, practices, transportation, etc.)
- Maintain sign-ups, records, uniforms, supplies and facilities in conjunction with the Communications Department, Facilities Department and Assistant Athletic Director
- Oversee and manage annual budget
- Serve as representative of the program at Admission and Parent events
- Work in collaboration with School Health Director to document injury and implement concussion testing and protocols
- Ensure compliance with Title IX
- A Masters degree in Athletic Administration, Physical Education or related field preferred
- 5 years or more of Athletic Administration or Physical Education preferred
- Excellent management and interpersonal skills
- Experience in a leadership, supervisory, or administrative role in an educational setting
- Proven track record in management of educational/athletic programs
- Has the ability to work and cooperate with all constituencies including, but not limited to other faculty/staff members, administration, coaches, parents, students and professionals from other schools
- Possesses visionary leadership, professionalism and strong organizational and communication skills
- Demonstrated success with creation and implementation of new programs
- Proven ability to foster a collaborative and motived team
- Creative problem solver
- A minimum of standard business hours (40 hours) Monday – Friday
- Ability to travel and work evenings and weekends as necessary
Finalists are expected to teach a demonstration lesson and provide a writing sample and college transcripts.
How to Apply:
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and three references to: email@example.com. Please be sure to include “Director of Athletics and Physical Education” in the subject line of the e-mail. The application deadline is Friday, December 13th.
Shady Hill offers competitive salaries and a generous benefits package, including medical, dental and vision insurance plans, a school-matched retirement plan and paid time off. Shady Hill is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. For more information on Shady Hill please visit us at www.shs.org.