- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Watkinson School, Hartford, CT
Accredited by NEASC
Watkinson School, offering inventive teaching and learning since 1881, seeks a Director of Community, Equity and Inclusion. Reporting directly to the Head of School, the Director will be a member of the school’s Senior Leadership team. This is a full-time, year-round position that will include the directorship of Watkinson’s Summer SPHERE program.
The Director of Community, Equity and Inclusion will be an experienced educator first and foremost, with a track record of collaboratively engaging at the leadership level within a school community. The successful candidate will demonstrate the capacity and ability to strengthen the experience and education of Watkinson students, in part by teaching and supporting them directly, and in part by helping the adults in the community become more culturally competent and more adept at culturally responsive, anti-bias pedagogy.
The Director will provide strategic vision, collaborative leadership, and active oversight of Watkinson’s efforts to become a more inclusive, just, and anti-racist community. The Director will be responsible for promoting cultural awareness; fostering a sense of belonging for all; and creating, implementing and supporting equitable and inclusive educational and community opportunities. The Director will support and facilitate constructive dialogue about identity, bias, equity, and social responsibility, supporting students and adults within the school community to engage effectively across differences, both on and beyond campus. The Director will lead Watkinson’s five-week Summer SPHERE educational program, which has been serving elementary school children from the city of Hartford for over fifty years.
The Director will demonstrate the qualities of empathy, integrity, open-mindedness, dedication, patience, and possess a growth mindset. The successful candidate will be committed to collaboration and possess a sense of perspective and a sense of humor.
The successful candidate will bring to the position:
- Solid understanding of and experience in promoting NAIS principles of good practice for equity and justice
- Experience working with children in grades K-12 and an understanding, appreciation, and sensitivity to the developmental needs of young people
- Demonstrated success working within a highly collaborative educational environment
- Culturally relevant programming and teaching skills
- Skillful design and facilitation of adult learning
- Exceptional communication skills
- Understanding and experience in hiring and supervising professional and youth staff (Summer SPHERE)
- Program management experience
- At least three years working within a school setting
- The capacity to manage several time sensitive projects simultaneously
Key responsibilities of the Director will include:
- Collaborate with Head of School and others to develop broad-based planning for community, equity and inclusion work across all facets of the school community
- Support the school’s administration in the hiring process with outreach, recruitment, review and support of new faculty and staff members
- Welcome and support new students and parents from diverse backgrounds
- Strengthen student engagement, advocacy, and leadership for equity and inclusion
- Support faculty and advise on curriculum development and culturally responsive pedagogy
- Work collaboratively with the school’s leadership in anticipating and responding to equity-related issues in the community
- Develop and lead training for employees on cultural competency as well as anti-bias and anti-racist practices
- Develop programming that engages community members in the school’s mission, vision and belief that equity and belonging are the work of all
- Oversee and coordinate professional development opportunities and training for faulty, staff, and potentially trustees and parents to create, evaluate, and thoughtfully implement inclusive and anti-racist curriculum, programming, and pedagogy
- Oversee affinity, ally, and cultural groups for students and adults.
- Recruit and manage all aspects of planning and daily operations for Summer SPHERE
- Represent Watkinson within the greater SPHERE Consortium on inclusion initiatives and programming. (year-round Independent School association)
Watkinson School is an equal opportunity employer and an open and affirming community. We seek candidates of diverse backgrounds. This position commences July 1, 2021 and is a twelve-month position. Qualified candidates please send a letter of interest, resume, and a list of no fewer than four references to: