- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
The White Mountain School, Bethlehem, NH
Accredited by NEASC
The White Mountain School, an independent, all-gender boarding and day school of 136 students grades 9 through 12 located in Bethlehem, New Hampshire seeks a Director of Equity and Inclusion. The Director will report to the Head of School. This candidate may have the opportunity to be a founding cohort member of a nascent initiative with Dartmouth MALS that provides a fully-funded MA from Dartmouth MALS over three summers of course work.
The White Mountain School’s mission:
We are a school of inquiry and engagement. Grounded in our Episcopal heritage, we prepare and inspire students to lead lives of curiosity, courage and compassion.
Equity and Inclusion: The White Mountain School aspires to create an inclusive community that is enriched by respect, understanding and shared values. We strive to have our faculty and curriculum reflect the diversity of our boarding population that is 46% students of color and 34% domestic students of color.
Our place in nature: Deeply committed to environmental sustainability, the school’s motto, “Lift thine eyes to the mountains” reflects our long-held value in finding inspiration, peace and humility in the beautiful White Mountains of New Hampshire.
Curiosity: We are a school that encourages and celebrates questions. Successful candidates will model lifelong learning.
We seek candidates on the path to senior leadership and will mentor towards that goal.
The Director is responsible for:
- Leading the efforts of fostering an inclusive community that values and promotes an affirming and welcoming educational environment.
- Working with key stakeholders to develop specific strategies to engage students, staff and faculty in equity, inclusion and social justice work.
- Developing ways to assess the effectiveness of programs, curriculum and campus climate with respect to equity and inclusion.
- Teaching 2 courses focused on social justice
The Director will work with:
- The Assistant Head of School for Teaching and Learning in developing strategies to enhance The White Mountain School’s goal of attracting and retaining underrepresented faculty and to ensure that the curriculum reflects The White Mountain School’s commitment to social justice.
- Faculty and staff to develop classroom practices that are inclusive, promote trust by students, and work toward developing teaching strategies that are culturally inclusive and enable students to feel supported and heard.
- The School community to promote an understanding of the importance and value of diversity and inclusion in the White Mountain School community.
The ideal candidate will have, or be seeking, the following:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Four to seven years of professional experience in a related field
- Demonstrated experience in and understanding of equity, inclusion and diversity work
- Effective communication and problem-solving skills
- Experience and comfort collaborating with the School’s students, faculty, and staff
- An understanding of adolescent development, learning environments, equity and inclusion in the classroom
- Creativity and initiative to navigate the challenges inherent in promoting and creating institutional change
- Facilitation, strategic leadership, and collaboration skills
This search will be open until the position is filled. Applications should include a cover letter describing why this position makes sense in your professional journey, a resume, and optionally, links to any previous work, research and presentations, workshops that you would like to share. Send materials to email@example.com.
The White Mountain School is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We seek to promote diversity through our programs and hiring.