- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Dedham Country Day School, Dedham, MA
Accredited by AISNE
Dedham Country Day School (DCD) seeks a full-time Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) to join the robust faculty and staff in our pre-kindergarten to grade 8 community for the 2021-22 school year. This new role, reporting to the Head of School and serving as a member of the senior Administrative Team, calls for an individual to lead the advancement of a culture and practice of diversity, equity, inclusion and justice for our students, faculty, staff and families.
At DCD, our children develop a willingness to try, an ability to do, and a drive to care. We strive to facilitate a multicultural and anti-racist education which celebrates the diversity of our community and prepares students with the skills they need to connect and thrive in our diverse world. We know that a broad range of experiences and viewpoints enhances learning and enriches life for students and faculty alike. We strongly encourage applications from BIPOC or educators from communities that are historically underrepresented in independent schools, and are committed to an inclusive school experience for all who work at DCD. Additionally, DCD places a high value on the professional growth of all faculty and staff and provides outstanding opportunities for individual professional development.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with the Head of School to develop broad-based strategic planning for DEI work across all facets of the school
- Collaborate with the Head of School, the Assistant Head of School and the faculty to create, evaluate and thoughtfully implement culturally inclusive and anti-racist curriculum and pedagogy
- Support the administration in the hiring process with outreach, recruitment, review and onboarding of faculty and staff members
- Actively engage with the admissions office in the outreach and recruitment of under-represented students
- Oversee and coordinate DEI professional development opportunities and training for faculty, staff and trustees
- Attend all Board of Trustees meetings and participate in the Board Committee for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Oversee affinity and cultural groups for both students and parents
- Oversee DEI programing for the school, including standing SEED groups, affinity groups, and annual CommUNITY event
- Manage the DEI budget
- Engage in the school community through weekly recess and lunch duties
Strong candidates will have:
- A bachelor’s degree with a master’s degree preferred
- Demonstrated leadership in implementing successful initiatives related to equity and inclusion with students, families, faculty, staff and school leadership
- A minimum of 3-5 years of related student-centered experience and/or adult education facilitation
- Knowledge and experience in facilitating restorative practices
- Excellent verbal and written communication, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of DEI research and successful strategies for curriculum development
- A sense of humor, strong motivation and a willingness to be part of a collaborative team'
School Mission and Philosophy: DCD is proud to offer an educational experience that:
- Provides to each child a unique educational balance of challenging academics, arts, and athletics;
- Embraces an inclusive interdependent community of students, teachers, and parents that fosters trust and encourages children to take risks;
- Creates independent, resilient, lifelong learners through engaging, developmentally based teaching designed to meet varied learning styles; and
- Inspires students to become caring, ethical members of the larger world by emphasizing thoughtful citizenship and respect for self and others.
Dedham Country Day School provides a competitive salary and benefits plan.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to Katie Ouellette, Special Assistant to the Head of School at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dedham Country Day School is an independent, coeducational Pre-Kindergarten - Grade 8 school located just west of Boston in Dedham MA. DCD does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, gender, national origin or ancestry, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, or any non-job related physical or mental disability