Charles River School, Dover, MA
Accredited by AISNE
Since its founding more than 100 years ago, Charles River School (CRS) students have learned to use both inquiry and creativity to build practical skills, discover new interests, and take responsibility for themselves, their communities, and the future. The school offers students in PreKindergarten through eighth-grade a global curriculum grounded in thematic, hands-on teaching and learning. CRS classes are small, learning is personalized, and teachers are accessible. The faculty and staff at CRS are exceptionally talented, diverse, active individuals concerned with the development and education of children.
CRS is located on 16 acres in idyllic Dover, Massachusetts, approximately 30 minutes from Boston. School facilities include a theater, dining room, academic buildings, gymnasiums, a wetlands laboratory, two playing fields, tennis courts, and an outdoor swimming pool.
The Director of Facilities oversees the physical operation of all school facilities, including day-to-day campus use, buildings maintenance and groundskeeping, equipment, furniture, vehicles, and special projects, all with a hands-on approach. The Director of Facilities is a detail and systems oriented professional with a demonstrated ability to manage and motivate staff and lead projects in the midst of a busy campus community.
The successful candidate will possess tremendous project management skills and have experience managing campus safety and security, custodial services, budgeting and planning, and various facilities projects. The Director of Facilities reports to the Director of Finance and Operations and works closely with the Head of School.
- Accountable for daily operations of the physical plant, ensuring pleasant communications and customer service-oriented relationships with faculty, staff, visitors, vendors, and others
- Plans, manages, and oversees facilities and equipment for daily use and from inception to completion for special events, meetings, etc.
- Solicits, reviews bids and negotiates contracts with vendors
- Coordinates lock and key needs and maintains distribution of keys, door locks and padlocks on campus
- Manages, plans, and oversees a regular schedule of short and long-term maintenance of campus buildings/facilities and equipment including HVAC, lighting, elevators, and others
- Maintains an adequate inventory of all necessary supplies and parts on-site
- Manages tracking system for regular preventative maintenance schedules and ongoing requests
Campus Security and Safety
- Oversees and manages overall campus security and safety program and establishes and maintains security requirements and safety protocols
- Serves as a strategic partner in the school’s Emergency Preparedness and Crisis Response programs in conjunction with the Head of School, Director of Finance and Operations and other school administrators
- Helps to develop and manage Emergency Response Plan (ERP), including facilitation of drills
- Maintains appropriate stock of emergency supplies and equipment
- Oversees the school’s Fire/Life/Safety ensuring standards are met, updated and maintained
- Provides first response for all campus facilities-related emergencies, on-call 24 hours a day, seven days a week, for alarm and facilities-related emergency needs
- Serves as a liaison to police, sheriff, and fire department personnel
- Manages school’s federal and state regulatory compliance requirements, including OSHA, building codes, and all others.
Budgeting and Planning
- In collaboration with the Director of Finance, prepares the annual facilities budget
- Manages the facilities budget on an ongoing basis, including accurate tracking and forecasting expenditures
- Provides support for the Board of Trustees Buildings and Facilities Committee, Emergency Response Team, and other committees and attends such meetings, as required
- Supervises a full-time Facilities Associate
- Prepares, updates and regularly communicates schedules for groundskeeping, maintenance and janitorial services
- Provides general supervision and project management to facilities-related trades as needed including outsourced landscaping
- Establishes and appropriately adjusts the timing of work and procedures to meet scheduled work requirements
- Addresses, analyzes and resolves facilities issues and problems
- Additional duties, as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree and 8+ years of facilities management experience in a similar environment including maintenance skills and emergency preparedness operations. Ability to respond and effectively communicate firmly and calmly with campus constituents, colleagues, direct reports and visitors. Strong technology skills - Microsoft Office email, Word and Excel.
Charles River School Quick Facts
Grades: PreK-8 (Day)
Teaching Faculty: 36
At Charles River, the school's mission guides the community every day, in all that they do.
“Charles River School honors the pursuit of academic excellence and the joy of childhood. We nurture each child by igniting curiosity, encouraging creativity, and cultivating intellectual engagement. Our graduates know themselves, understand others, and shape the future of our diverse world with confidence and compassion.”
Statement of Diversity and Inclusion
At Charles River School, diversity, inclusivity, and cultural competency are essential parts of the curriculum and the community and are central tenets of the Mission Statement. Through their teaching practices and the authentic learning experiences provided for students each day, Charles River School shows a deep dedication to graduating well-rounded students. As stated by the school:
We commit ourselves to:
- Cultivating cultural competency and diversity throughout our curriculum, our student body, and our faculty and staff
- Deepening our knowledge and appreciation of the many aspects of cultural identities, in ourselves, our local communities, and globally
- Providing an environment and an education that equips children and adults to become successful, contributing members of a global society
- Understanding both historical and current implications of diversity, power, and privilege
- Engaging in this complex work with careful thought and enduring dedication.
- And most of all, we commit ourselves to fostering a school community in which each of us is welcomed, recognized, and valued as an individual and as a member of the Charles River School family.
Notice of Non-Discrimination Policy
Charles River School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin in the administration of its educational policies, personnel policies, admissions policies, financial aid programs and athletic and other school-administered programs. It is the policy of Charles River School to admit students of any race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin.
Candidates will need to submit the following materials as separate PDF documents:
- A cover letter expressing their interest in this position;
- A current résumé;
- A list of 3-5 professional references with name, relationship, phone number, and email address of each (references will not be contacted without the candidate’s permission) to: email@example.com