Thayer Academy, Braintree, MA
Accredited by NEASC
Role & Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Chief Finance & Operations Officer, The Director of Safety & Security ensures a safe environment for the students, faculty, staff and visitors to Thayer Academy. S/he oversees the security operations on assigned shift(s), with an emphasis on developing an in-house staff and managing contracted security officers. The Director of Safety & Security will also conduct regular training sessions with students, staff and contractors regarding emergency response and security related issues. S/he participates in the development, coordination and evaluation of security programs and initiatives for the Academy, ensuring that they meet the Academy’s needs and support the physical protection of the people and property of the Academy.
- Ensures a safe environment for the students, faculty, staff, and visitors to the Academy while overseeing security operations on assigned shift(s).
- Supervises trains, develops and actively manages Thayer security staff and contracted security officers on assigned shift(s) to ensure compliance with established departmental policies and procedures.
- Reviews and categorizes security incident reports and conducts follow-up investigations.
- Responds to emergencies as needed and promptly advises the Chief Finance & Operations Officer and Head of School of conditions.
- Conducts on-site training sessions for students, faculty and staff regarding emergency response, security awareness and other safety and security related issues. Addresses groups at orientations, open houses and employee training sessions to explain the role of the Safety and Security Department at Thayer Academy.
- Participates in strategic planning and project management activities for the department. Performs assessments and provide recommendations to mitigate risk to the Academy’s personnel and assets. Uses quantitative analysis and written proposals to support recommendations on resource allocation.
- Serves as a liaison to local law enforcement and fire department officials, and Thayer Safety Committee. Communicates effectively both internally with management, staff, faculty, student and other members of the Thayer community, and externally with local authorities, including police officers, firefighters, and emergency services.
- Drafts policies and procedures for contracted guard’s standard operating procedures as well as various Academy safety and security policies.
- Supervises security coverage at special events. Covers open shifts for other Security staff as needed.
- Performs other such duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Qualifications & Education Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- At least four years of professional security or law enforcement experience required.
- Ability to use a wide range of technical equipment.
- Broad knowledge of safety procedures, including firearm safety, as well as industry best practices for guard force utilization, access control, physical security, and security management.
- Excellent communication skills.
Physical Requirements & Work Environment
- Frequently lift equipment and materials weighing 50 pounds or more.
- Work outside in hot or cold conditions for extended periods of time
- Regularly required to stand: walk: sit and reach with hands and arm
This is a full-time exempt position with typical hours of 8 to 5 although nights and weekends
Applications Accepted by:
Fax or Email:
781-380-0521 or email@example.com
Subject Line: Director of Safety & Security Position
Julaine McInnis, CFOO
745 Washington Street
Braintree, MA 02184