The Governor's Academy, Byfield, MA
Accredited by NEASC
The Governor’s Academy, the oldest boarding school in New England, inspires and engages inquisitive students in ninth through twelfth grade. Our 456-acre campus is located thirty miles north of Boston and five miles south of Newburyport, a classic New England coastal town. Govs has approximately 400 students and 250 employees.
Govs faculty and staff are committed to creating and cultivating a diverse and inclusive community that allows students to discover their passions, use their unique voices, and achieve academic and co-curricular excellence. Adults in our community are professionals who appreciate individuality, collaboration, and service to others - all so that we can go far together.
Position Summary This a full-time (11 - month) position with administrative faculty status. The position will provide and support the student activities program that meets the needs of a diverse student population and comes with the expectation of total involvement in the lives of students on campus. In addition, this position will also serve as a support resource and connection point for first-year students. have ongoing contact with and direct responsibility for the academic and social life of students on campus (in loco parentis), and will involve specific responsibilities that include coaching or other afternoon program involvement, residential life duty, and student advising. Campus housing may be available.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities Teaching:
- Possibility of teaching 1 section Afternoon Program:
- 2 seasons of coaching or equivalent
Residential Life Program:
- Dorm parenting or equivalent
Member of Residential Affairs Committee Student Life:
- Weekend duties Plan, Coordinate, and Oversee Student and School-Wide Events:
- Manage Student Activities’ budget
- Manage weekend FIC schedule and facilitate FIC team planning meeting Plan large scale student body programming and oversee the publicity
- Faculty advisor to the Student Programming Board
- Assist with the programming of the commencement activities
- Coordinate student break travel and transportation
- Supervise the Student Center during the academic day
- Oversee the Orientation Leader Program
- Adjudicate student discipline for first-year students. Dean of Student Responsibilities:
- Attend weekly meetings
- Assist Dean of Students with opening of school
- Plan and coordinate Unity Days with Dean of Students
- Work with Dean’s Office to develop strong social and cultural programs
- Faculty Advisor to Student Council
- Assist student leaders with Friday morning meeting
- Organize and administer student elections
- Serve on the Student Leadership Development committee
B.A. or equivalent required; student activities experience preferred; experience in student development and comfortable with supervising adolescents. Must have good organizational and communication skills and a sense of humor as well as an awareness of how to create a fun and safe environment for students. Must work collegially and adapt to a flexible schedule with varying hours; must be committed to working in a diverse community and have the ability to communicate effectively with diverse populations; must enjoy working with young people in a boarding school environment; and must have a valid driver’s license.
To Apply To apply for the Director of Students Activities & Ninth Grade Dean position, please click here.