The Rivers School, Weston, MA
Accredited by NEASC
In October, 2018 The Rivers School launched the first-ever comprehensive capital campaign in the school’s history, FutureMakers: The Campaign for Rivers. To date, FutureMakers has funded a series of transformational projects, including three new turf athletic fields, and the state-of-the-art Revers Center for Science and Visual Arts, while also securing more than $11M in new endowment commitments, and growing the Annual Giving program to more than $3M annually. The FutureMakers campaign is scheduled to close in June of ’21, and there are several priorities remaining as target goals for the campaign’s successful conclusion.
The Rivers School seeks a dynamic, strategic, collaborative, and creative development professional to join its team in the role of Director of The Rivers Fund. This position is responsible for the development, execution, and management of a comprehensive multi-channel annual giving program that supports the strategic objectives and the philanthropic priorities of The Rivers School, serving both the critical components of the school’s operations and the goals of FutureMakers.
The Director of the Rivers Fund will step into our energized campaign at a critical time, assuming responsibility for the broad operational oversight of the crucial alumni and parent annual giving programs. The professional in this position will advise and execute on strategy; set goals; track, analyze, and report on data; manage and train reporting staff; drive volunteer efforts; enrich participation across our constituencies; and develop and sustain new programming in support of aspirational goals.
Within the Advancement Office, the Director has a leadership role on a team of twelve development professionals working in a collaborative environment. As such, the ideal candidate for this position will be an organized, results-oriented fundraising professional with a proven record of leading teams to achieve annual financial goals for unrestricted support and school priorities, while broadening the base of participation among alumni, parents and friends.
Essential Job Functions:
Areas of responsibility and tasks include but are not limited to:
- Manage a portfolio of prospects capable of giving $50,000. Cultivate, solicit and steward unrestricted gifts, with emphasis on $5,000 - $25,000 gifts
- Set the overall goals for Annual Giving by fund, and for any fundraising events, such as a golf tournament and auction.
- Develop the strategies to achieve the fundraising goals by constituency, setting individual prospect targets as well as overall goals by grade for parents and by class for alumni.
- Develop the goals in coordination with other staff where appropriate and regularly share the plans and goals with the Advancement Office.
- Produce a written plan of these strategies to be distributed to staff and volunteers.
- Directly solicit alumni and parents to make dollar or participation goals.
- Develop and manage a tracking system for all solicitors and donor targets.
- Develop a compelling case for support for the Annual Fund.
- Plan, strategize, and execute the annual Rivers Day of Giving with advancement office, alumni, current parent and faculty and staff volunteers.
- Oversee all Annual Fund mailings to include design, segmentation, and timing of mailings.
- Monitor weekly and monthly progress and work with others in the office to address deficiencies.
- Develop reports to show progress and yearly annual giving comparisons.
- Regularly analyze key metrics to assess the effectiveness of strategies and initiatives.
- Work with the Director of Alumni Programs to set dates and arrange volunteers for student and alumni phonathons.
- Identify, recruit, and train the volunteer leadership for the annual fund.
- Develop a training program for volunteers that will explain the annual fund and techniques for solicitations.
- Be the public face of The Rivers Fund and market The Rivers Fund with appropriate materials and at appropriate times, at meetings, social events, or one-on-one meetings.
Acknowledgement and Stewardship:
- Execute a program where acknowledgments are timely, customized, and relevant to donors at all levels.
- Conduct an annual review of all thank you letters with the director of communications.
- Work with the Director of Stewardship to ensure proper engagement of longtime donors and implement new ideas to encourage consecutive giving.
Perform other duties as assigned. Some weekend and evening work required for specific school functions
- Qualified candidate will hold a bachelor’s degree and have at least five years of experience with the annual fund, with an emphasis on creating strategy for meeting dollar and participation goals and working with volunteers.
- Prior experience in fundraising, preferably experience in an independent school or college.
- Ability to communicate effectively with diverse populations. Demonstrated commitment to understanding, communicating, and adhering to institutional policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated experience managing, motivating, training and evaluating staff and volunteers to accomplish fundraising goals.
- Successful experience with all aspects of annual giving to include parental giving, annual leadership gifts, and other related programs.
- Mastery with donor information systems (familiarity with Raiser’s Edge/Blackbaud is preferred) and Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel. Competence in preparing and presenting detailed studies and reports, including recommendations in Raiser’s Edge.
- Demonstrated success in cultivating, soliciting, and securing philanthropic gifts.
- Possession of state-of-the-art skills as related to the effective use of social media and other constituent engagement management tools is strongly preferred.
- Motivated self-starter with a high level of integrity, a strong work ethic, confidence, and a collegial team player.
- Excellent organizational skills and successful experience managing multiple priorities effectively, while sustaining consistent attention to detail.
- Email resume and cover letter to Kim Fox, Associate Director of Advancement, at email@example.com.