The Fessenden School, West Newton, MA
Accredited by AISNE
The Fessenden School is an all boys independent day and boarding school serving 525 students in Pre-K to Grade 9 in West Newton, MA. The Fessenden School’s mission is to teach, nurture, and celebrate growing boys; cultivating each boy’s individual potential and developing in balance his mind, character, heart, and body in an inclusive and joyful community. For over 100 years we have been committed to the education of boys, and our facilities, curriculum, and programs are designed with the necessities of boys in mind.
The Fessenden School’s Food Services department seeks a full-time Dish Machine / General Services person to work Monday to Friday from 7:15am to 3:45pm during the school year ONLY. The Dish Machine / General Services person is responsible for maintaining cleanliness and sanitation standards for china, glassware, tableware, cooking utensils, etc., using machine and manual cleaning methods. This position also ensures the dishwashing area is maintained as a clean, safe, and sanitary facility.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Sorting and rinsing dirty dishes, glass, tableware and other cooking utensils and place them in racks to send through dish machine
- Sorting and stacking clean dishes; carrying clean dishes to cook’s line and other proper storage areas; rewashing soiled dishes before delivering
- Changing water in the dish machine every 2 hours.
- Washing pots, pans, and trays by hand.
- Assisting with food deliveries
- Removing trash, recycling, and garbage to dumpster
- Setting-up and breaking-down dishwashing area
- Cleaning and rolling/unrolling mats
- Filling/emptying soak tubs with cleaning and sanitizing solutions
- Sweeping/mopping/vacuuming floors
- Assembling/disassembling dish machine
- Performing general cleaning as directed
- Wiping up any spills to ensure kitchen floors remain dry
- Notifying Manager anytime dish machine wash or rinse cycle falls below safety standard temperatures
- Assist in keeping the dining hall clean and prepared for meals
- Performing other duties as assigned
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities)
- Must be able to read labels on chemical
- Knowledge of workplace safety procedures
- Ability to maintain professional demeanor in high-stress situations
- Successful criminal background check, and pre-employment physical examination
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. The requirements for performing the duties of this position are as follows:
- Regularly walk and stand during entire shift and occasionally sit.
- Frequently lift and carry racks or stacks of dishes, glassware, and other utensils, weighing up to 30 pounds as needed per shift.
- Occasionally lifts and empties trash cans weighing up to 80 lbs., with assistance, up to two times per shift.
- Frequently bends, stoops, reaches, pushes and lifts.
- Working primarily indoors in a hot, damp environment with some work done outside.
- Occasional exposure to sharp machinery, broken glass, metal cans, and heat sources with some potential for injury.
- Frequent handwashing.
- A moderate to high noise level in the work environment.
Submit an application through Fessenden’s Career Site. Please include a resume and cover letter.
The Fessenden School encourages applications from candidates with diverse or minority backgrounds.
The Fessenden School believes that each individual is entitled to equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, ancestry, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state, or local anti-discrimination laws. The School’s equal employment opportunity practices extend to recruitment, hiring, selection, compensation, benefits, transfer, conditions, and privileges of employment.
We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor visas.
- Food Service