- Teaching Assistant
Shore Country Day School, Beverly, MA
Accredited by AISNE
Summary: Teacher Assistant positions at Shore Country Day School offer new and aspiring teachers an entry-level opportunity in independent school education. We pair each assistant with one to two lead teachers in grades Pre-K through 4, who directly supervise the assistant’s professional growth and development. In turn, assistants support their lead teachers in all aspects of their professional responsibilities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following (other duties to be assigned):
- Assist lead teacher in all aspects of classroom set up, clean up, management, and instruction.
- Plan and implement lessons for a small reading group in coordination with the lead teachers and reading specialists.
- Provide lead instruction and supervision for SEA Shore program from 3:00-4:00 Monday through Thursday.
- Perform recess, lunch, and carpool duties as assigned.
- Collaborate with homeroom teachers in assessing student growth and progress.
- Develop positive relationships with children and colleagues.
- Develop lesson plans for subjects assigned to you by your lead teacher (ie. Reading Groups, Spelling, Health, etc.)
- Be cognizant of the developmental needs and various learning styles of children.
- Assist the lead teacher in organizing and maintaining a healthy, safe, and multicultural learning environment.
- Participate in pertinent department, division, and all-employee meetings.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability to perform these essential duties. This list is intended to be illustrative but not exhaustive. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job, unless those accommodations would impose undue hardship on the school.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelors degree required; Education major preferred
- Elementary classroom experience
- Knowledge of current curricular and instructional practice
- Experience with diversity work and issues of equity and justice
- Ability to effectively listen, respond and present information to students, parents, and colleagues
- Ability to project a positive and professional image at all times
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Shows strong organizational skills, takes initiative, demonstrates innovative thinking, demonstrates professionalism, and demonstrates attention to detail
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job, unless those accommodations would impose an undue hardship upon the school.
- The employee has to ascend and descend stairs.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be higher than moderate.
- The employee will need to lift up to 25 lbs. regularly and may need to lift up to 50 lbs. from time to time.
Interested applicants kindly submit electronic copies of a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three references to:
Sara Knox, Head of Lower School
Shore Country Day School
545 Cabot Street
Beverly, MA 01915
An Equal Opportunity Employer
The Shore Country Day School (the “School”) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The School offers equal employment opportunity to all applicants for employment and all employees without regard sex, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, veteran status, military service, application for military service, physical or mental disability, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law. An applicant who does not meet the minimum qualifications of the position(s) for which the applicant applies will not be considered for employment. If you need a reasonable accommodation to complete this application, interview for the position, or otherwise participate in the hiring process, please notify us.