- Learning Support
The Fenn School, Concord, MA
Accredited by AISNE
The Fenn School seeks candidates for the part-time position of English as a Second Language tutor.
The tutor will:
- Provide tutoring services in some or all of the following areas: academic writing, active reading, language skills areas, and learning strategies (test taking, test preparation, organizing and prioritizing, note taking, paraphrasing and summarizing);
- Facilitate each student’s acquisition of English language skills while reinforcing an understanding of basic grammar concepts;
- Present standard American English language clearly and serve as a linguistic model for students;
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with students by articulating clearly, selecting vocabulary, and assessing comprehension by varying methods;
- Listen actively and effectively in order to identify and solve problems, facilitate learning for students, and build student confidence
- Work with students in one-to-one or one-to-two situations;
- Generate student-specific goals and strategies;
- Bridge the gap between class lessons and independent work;
- Coordinate with classroom teachers to provide assistance with assignments, and help/guide students without doing the work for them;
- Communicate with families concerning each student’s progress toward meeting goals;
- Recognize variations in student backgrounds, abilities, and learning styles;
- Interact in a friendly and patient manner with students from different cultural backgrounds and students of all levels of language proficiency;
- Promote critical thinking and self-advocacy.
- Prior ESL teaching or tutoring experience
- Strong background in English and language arts; ESL certification or its equivalent preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Effective organizational and time management skills
- Usage of and comfort with Google Drive and its applications
Interested candidates are asked to submit the following materials:
- A letter of interest
- A current resume
- A statement of educational philosophy
- Letter(s) of reference
Please submit materials electronically via email attachment to Dr. Eden Dunckel, Director of Learning Support Services, at the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Receipt of materials will be acknowledged via email. Interested candidates are asked not to contact the School once applicant materials have been submitted.