Fayerweather Street School, Cambridge, MA
Accredited by AISNE
Fayerweather seeks an energetic, experienced, middle school teacher to teach both seventh and eighth grade science. This position will begin in the fall of the 2020-21 academic year. The Fayerweather science program values an inquiry-based science that has students formulating questions about the world around them and seeking out the answers through scientific investigation. Students receive a solid foundation of scientific knowledge in life, earth and physical science. Real world, authentic applications of science are stressed throughout the program. Students are also encouraged to apply their knowledge to being good stewards to the health of the planet. Fayerweather curriculum works to be anti-bias, by amplifying multicultural voices and lived experiences that students explore through science, literature, history, writing, and storytelling.
- Create a supportive and caring classroom environment in which students can learn and interact positively with one another through student-centered instruction, collaboration and authentic assessment
- Provide learning experiences that encourage curiosity, exploration, innovation, and problem-solving
- Have enthusiasm, flexibility, and a desire to collaborate with colleagues both in your grade level team and across disciplines
- Have an ability to teach/develop curriculum that focuses on authentic, real-world application of learning
- Meet students where they are as learners by differentiating curriculum
- Establish and maintain excellent classroom management
- Exhibit excellent communication with parents to provide timely and appropriate feedback regarding student progress
- Present a warm and energetic personality and a good sense of humor
- Possess a growth mindset when it comes to engaging with relevant and mission-driven professional learning
- Knowledge of Next Generation Science Standards, Collaborative Problem Solving, and Restorative Justice, is a plus
- Familiarity/comfort with remote teaching technology and pedagogy is a plus
Skills and Qualifications: Working at FSS
- be knowledgeable of the philosophy of progressive education
- demonstrate knowledge and commitment to the importance of diversity, equity, and belonging in an elementary school
Teaching at FSS
- teach science curriculum to seventh and eighth graders
Responsibilities at FSS
- performing various duties including recess coverage, lunch duty, and creating curricular displays ● be an advisor to a group of roughly 10 students ● document curriculum as it evolves throughout the year ● narrative report writing and timely communication with parents ● attending weekly staff meetings ● participating in admissions programming as needed ● and other duties as assigned
Fayerweather Street School has a rich and progressive history of successfully educating students for over 50 years. Fayerweather Street School (FSS) is a co-educational independent day school enrolling approximately 200 students in Pre-Kindergarten through 8th grade. Located in the Fresh Pond neighborhood in Cambridge, Fayerweather offers a progressive, hands-on experiential learning environment where the pace of childhood is respected, and where children develop a love of learning, know how they learn best, and have voice and agency in their school community. We help young people develop the knowledge, skills and awareness to flourish in a complex, diverse and increasingly interdependent world. We believe that truly knowing each child is the heart of a great education, and we are committed to building a diverse, welcoming and equitable community in which compassion, humor and respect are woven throughout the curriculum and spirit of the day.
To Apply: Please submit your cover letter and resume to Employment@Fayerweather.org. Please be prepared to provide at least five references, and at least two of your references must be, or have been, your direct reports.