- Teaching Assistant
Waldorf School of Lexington, Lexington, MA
Accredited by NEASC, AWSNA
Apply here by sending a cover letter, resume, and three references (written or provide contact information) in a single pdf addressed to Don Grace, School Director.
The Waldorf School of Lexington, now in its 48th year, is seeking an Assistant Teacher to support our first grade class. This is a temporary, hourly position, working from 8:00–3:00 p.m., starting immediately and continuing as needed through the remainder of the school year. The need for the position will be evaluated periodically at roughly six- to eight-week intervals.
The ideal candidate will have a B.A. degree; demonstrated interest in the philosophy and methods of Waldorf education; elementary teaching experience; energy, commitment, and vitality for working with elementary aged children; and the ability to take direction from, and work closely with, the Lead Teacher. Waldorf training and/or teaching experience is preferred.
The Assistant Teacher supports the Class Teacher and Subject Teachers in the following ways:
• Help set up and arrange the classroom each morning; help with cleanup.
• Assist and support the Lead Teacher when children arrive each morning, during class, snack, and recess.
• Be an attentive and helpful presence for the Lead Teacher and the children.
• Help children get prepared during transitions, work with their materials, do bookwork, etc. This may involve correcting pencil grip, sitting posture, etc.
• Participate in some classroom activities, speech work, flute work, etc.
• Serve as another set of “eyes” for the Lead Teacher, observing children on all levels – academically, physically, socially, etc.
• Work with students individually who need extra help as directed by the Lead Teacher.
• Assist in classroom management as needed, including resolving behavioral/social disputes.
• Help to supervise recess duty, learning how the Lead Teacher works with the class during free play and then assuming more leadership responsibilities during the course of the year.
• Supervise children when needed.
• Take over leadership of the class to cover for the Lead Teacher when she is out.
• Meet periodically with the Lead Teacher.
• Additional responsibilities as needed.
Please email a cover letter, resume, and three references (written or provide contact information) in a single pdf addressed to Don Grace, School Director, at email@example.com.
Thank you for your interest in the Waldorf School of Lexington!