The Fessenden School, West Newton, MA
Accredited by AISNE
Position Overview: The Fessenden School is seeking an experienced and forward-thinking food service professional to be its next Food Services Director. The Fessenden food services program operates 12 months a year and during the school-year, feeds a diverse school-day community of 700 people and a boarding community of 150 people as well as caters various functions throughout the year. The Food Services Director has oversight of a staff of fourteen full and part-time employees, including, chefs, cooks, general service, and dining room attendants. For more information and to apply, please go to: https://www.fessenden.org/
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Food planning and production
- Plan all menus, offering selections to meet the needs of a diverse community
- Consult with dietician/nutritionist on menu planning
- Establish standards of quality for food ordering and preparation
- Supervise staff culinary technique
- Oversee food quality for taste, appearance, and food safety and establish standard operating procedures for food preparatio
- Food Safety/Health Regulations
- Ensure facility meets standards for licensed operation
- Maintain Servsafe certification and ensure compliance of Servsafe regulation
- Serve as point of contact for all Health Department compliance and communication
- Monitor cleanliness of kitchen and dining room
- Set an example for high quality customer service
- Serve as face of Food Services to administration and wider school community, build relationships clearly, professionally, and effectively with diverse community of constituents
- Maintain certification with SNA (school nutrition assoc.)
- Belong to industry groups and attend conferences
- Stay current with best practices and trends in food management in schools
- Order from vendors based on menu requirements and current inventory levels
- Oversee function planning for special events
- Manage inventory of alcohol, beer and wine for functions as needed
- Collaborate with Health Center Director to ensure that kitchen is adequately informed about student allergies
- Prepare daily allergy report based on menu items
- Communicate with faculty, staff, students as needed to ensure everyone's safety.
Management of Personnel
- Set clear expectations for staff
- Create a positive team-oriented environment
- Train staff in allergy awareness and management
- With support of Human Resources, post for jobs, interview and hire for all openings
- Directly oversee job performance for a portion of the department.
- Oversee and manage budget
- Publish daily calendar of functions, with menu and staffing plans
- Plan, monitor and track, staff schedules, time-off, etc.
- Report payroll to the Business Office on bi-weekly basis
- Produce monthly internal billing reports and process accounts payable on an ongoing basis
- Maintain accurate inventory to ensure proper and timely ordering
- Ensure that inventory is organized and stored food is rotated as needed
- Provide bi-annual inventory reports to Business Office
- Working in kitchen as needed to fill in and support functions
- Oversee linen and uniform ordering
- Ensure adequate inventory of disposables and cleaning supplies
- Manage kitchen equipment and vendors, ensuring all equipment is used safely and maintained in proper working order
Qualifications & Skills:
MINIMUM REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- 10 years of high-volume food production experience with increasing responsibility
- 5 years of supervisory experience
- Ability to work in high-stress environment
- Fluent in leveraging technology to manage food service operations, as well as Google Suite (Gmail, Google Sheets, Google Docs, etc.) and HR/payroll systems.
- Has demonstrated ability to work in a diverse community
- Strong foundation in nutrition
- Ability to plan menus, preferably with a background in farm-to-table production
- Ability to prioritize
- Must be able to work nights and weekends on fill-in basis and cover any shift.
- Allergen Awareness Certificate
- ServSafe Certified
- Demonstrated experience in supervising and leading a team with diverse skills and abilities
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Foodservice experience in academic and catering settings
- High school diploma or equivalent
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. The requirements for performing the duties of this position are as follows:
- Some lifting and carrying required of objects up to 80 lbs
- Regular standing and/or walking
- A moderate to high noise level in the work environment.
- Climbing of stairs, is regularly required, along with the need to bend, reach and kneel
- Occasional exposure to sharp machinery, broken glass, metal cans, and heat sources with some potential for injury.
How to Apply:
Interested and qualified candidates should submit electronically the following materials to Mike Grossman, Chief Operations Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Formal cover letter for the position;
- Current résumé.
At some point during interview process, we will expect:
List of at least three references with name, title, phone number and email address of each (references will not be contacted without the candidate’s permission).
No Phone Calls
The Fessenden School encourages applications from candidates with diverse or minority backgrounds.
The Fessenden School believes that each individual is entitled to equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, ancestry, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state, or local anti-discrimination laws. The School’s equal employment opportunity practices extend to recruitment, hiring, selection, compensation, benefits, transfer, conditions, and privileges of employment.
We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor visas.
- Food Service