Belmont Day School, Belmont, MA
Accredited by AISNE
We are seeking an innovative and versatile upper elementary educator to be one of two homeroom teachers in our vibrant fifth-grade classroom beginning fall 2019. A qualified candidate will possess a strong enthusiasm, deep knowledge of, and familiarity with fifth-grade students. This is a full-time, exempt, and benefit eligible position. This is a ten-month position and reports to the lower school head.
- Create a rich, engaging, stimulating program for fifth graders
- Have both the developmental and pedagogical background to embrace this age group
- Serve as a homeroom teacher, helping to lead community meetings, and engaging with students routinely by providing coverage at lunch, recess, and dismissal, or as needed.
- Create and deliver rigorous, effective, and compelling curricular experiences.
- Work to ensure academic excellence—the ability of students to approach novel tasks with the confidence, mindset, and skills to accomplish them successfully.
- Collaborate with all members of the fifth grade team and all school faculty to design curriculum and support co-curricular programming and the development of students beyond the classroom.
- Commit to fostering a diverse and inclusive community both in and out of the classroom.
- Keep careful assessment and anecdotal records to inform comprehensive student reports.
- Lead and assist in parent-teacher conferences focused on the social, emotional, and academic growth
- Communicate verbally and in writing sensitively, regularly, clearly, and honestly with parents, informally and through conferences and trimester reports
- Commit to building a diverse and inclusive classroom and community environment
- Contribute to and benefit from working with colleagues
- Participate enthusiastically in all aspects of an excellent school
- Embrace opportunities for technology in the classroom
- Provide regular, constructive, and specific feedback to students to encourage their growth and improvement.
- Establish and maintain strong home-school partnerships with families to ensure students’ successes.
- Teach and exhibit our school’s six core values of respect, responsibility, honesty, caring, joy, and excellence
- Knowledge of fifth-graders and their developmental progression
- Thorough understanding of instructional practices in all curricular subjects but specifically math and science
- Ability to develop and adapt the curriculum in multiple subject areas, especially math and science
- Establish and maintain strong home-school partnerships with families to ensure student success
- Strong collegial and interpersonal skills
- Great written and oral communication skills
- Cultural competency based on experience and professional development in diversity work
- Flexibility, sense of humor, energy, and optimism
- Bachelor’s degree required: advanced degree preferred
- Teaching upper elementary preferred; fifth-grade teaching experience preferred
- Training and/or experience with Singapore Math is highly preferred
Please send a cover letter, resume, and references to email@example.com. Please include fifth grade teacher in the subject line.
Belmont Day seeks candidates who will add to the diversity of our community. The school will always be maintained as a nonsectarian institution. The school is an equal opportunity employer. The school complies with all legal requirements in connection with admissions and access to programs, facilities and employment practices regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, age, or disability