- Middle School
Shady Hill School, Cambridge, MA
Accredited by AISNE
Shady Hill has been a leader in progressive elementary education. Grades B-II pursues a variety of Thematic Studies that reflect the Central Subject Methodology by integrating areas of learning, but in shorter, age-appropriate units. Grades 3-8 engage in Central Subject, an in-depth, integrated study of a particular time or people in history. The year-long Central Subject study, which emphasizes strong content, the use of primary sources, understanding of multiple perspectives, acquisition of essential skills, and self-discovery, forms the core of our curriculum. Central Subject faculty are responsible for the skills and content in both social studies/history and language arts and with the support of performing arts and visual arts faculty, the integration of these disciplines.
Shady Hill is a deeply mission-driven school. We seek to develop independent, joyful, and curious learners who respect their own accomplishments and those of others. We strive to be a community whose values are strong and which is unafraid to engage students in important questions. The school’s program allows children to explore their worlds and test their powers. As a diverse school, we believe that an inclusive community is an educational and moral imperative that empowers us all. Therefore, we seek to hire teachers who share this commitment and demonstrate the skills of culturally competent educators.
Shady Hill School is also a teacher training institution. Its long-standing Teacher Training Course, which brings as many as eighteen apprentice teachers to campus each year, prepares talented aspiring teachers for careers in education and allows each faculty member the opportunity to be a mentor and meaningful contributor to the teaching field. Because of the school’s commitment to teacher training, the school often seeks teachers with certification.
Grades 4-8 engage in a year-long study called Central Subject, an in-depth, integrated study of a particular time or people in history. Central Subject faculty are responsible for the skills and content in both social studies/history and language arts and with the support of performing arts and visual arts faculty, the integration these disciplines. Each Central Subject teacher also serves as a homeroom/advisor for 15-19 students.
- Teach the year- long Central Subject, “Africa”
- Monitor the social, emotional and academic lives of early adolescent students
- Communicate about student progress, write reports, hold parent conferences, and meet with administrators to support the needs of individuals
- Work collaboratively with grade level team and other members of the Central Subject department to shape and refine the curriculum
- Serve as a full community member by attending weekly faculty meetings, sitting on committees, participating in admissions activities, and covering duties and other routine faculty responsibilities.
- Masters degree or equivalent preferred and prior teaching experience with middle school students
- Strong background in middle school curriculum design, including a project-based approach
- Familiarity with an integrated, thematic studies approach
- Communicates effectively
- Creates an inclusive classroom
- Employs multicultural and anti-bias teaching strategies that reflect multiple perspectives
- Uses multicultural materials and resources
Finalists are expected to teach a demonstration lesson. A writing sample and college transcripts are also required. Annual salary for faculty is determined according to a step scale commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and three references as separate documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to include “Grade VI Gradehead” in the subject line of the e-mail. Application deadline is February 28, 2020.
Shady Hill offers competitive salaries and a generous benefits package, including medical, dental and vision insurance plans, a school-matched retirement plan and paid time off. Shady Hill is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. For more information on Shady Hill please visit us at www.shs.org