- Middle School
Derby Academy, Hingham, MA
Accredited by AISNE
Derby Academy, a Pre-Kindergarten through Grade 8 co-educational day school located in Hingham, Massachusetts, seeks an enthusiastic, well-qualified candidate for the position of Upper School (Grs. 6-8) history teacher beginning in August 2019. Rooted in the school’s motto, “Improve Both Mind and Heart,” Derby’s Upper School provides students with a joyful and rigorous academic environment. An Upper School history teacher will typically teach four sections of history, collaborate with grade-level colleagues and lead/coach one-two clubs/sports. In addition, the teacher will serve as an advisor responsible for the academic progress and social-emotional health and development of a small group of advisees.
The Derby Academy history department values the role of history in educating the whole child, focusing on themes of identity, diversity, inspiration and empathy. Students are encouraged to explore their own identity as they also learn about the complicated interaction between history and identity in various societies. Using identity as the overarching framework gives students the “glue” necessary to branch out and explore a diverse, sophisticated set of historical events and themes. Through a focus on primary sources, our history curriculum removes the passive nature of “learning the facts” of the past from textbooks. Students will come to understand the process of interpretation by which history is created. They will be challenged to think, analyze and write as professional historians. Students will learn the historical thinking skills needed to successfully reconstruct the past.
The ideal candidate will:
- Have a deep passion for history;
- Have a love of working with Middle School students;
- Have enthusiasm, flexibility, and a desire to collaborate with colleagues both in the department and across disciplines;
- Have a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion practices and the impact it has on the curriculum and the community
- Provide activities and opportunities that encourage curiosity, exploration, innovation, problem-solving, and the use of technology
- Have a desire to develop a curriculum that focuses on authentic, real-world application of learning;
- Create a supportive and caring classroom environment in which students can learn and interact positively with one another; through student-centered instruction, collaboration and authentic assessment;
- Communicate with parents to provide timely and appropriate feedback regarding student progress
- Possess a growth mindset when it comes to engaging with relevant and mission-driven professional learning for themselves
- Have the ability to teach a range of social studies topics including global studies and United States History.
A competitive salary and benefits package includes generous funding of professional development.
Derby Academy is committed to building a diverse, equitable and inclusive educational community and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, gender, color, veteran status, physical ability, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin. Derby Academy is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested candidates may email a letter of interest and C.V. to:
Director of Teaching and Learning
No phone calls, please.