Saint John's High School, Shrewsbury, MA
Accredited by NEASC
Saint John’s High School seeks a full-time high school counselor. Applicants will have demonstrated the ability to counsel students dealing with personal, academic, developmental, and wellness issues. The selected candidate will collaborate with fellow counselors, faculty members, and members of the administration, in support of our students. The ideal candidate will also work with parents through our various parent programs. In addition, the selected candidate will guide and assist students and parents through the college search and application process. The ideal candidate will have a passion for educating young men, and a willingness to be involved in the school community beyond the classroom setting. Candidates should have a degree in School Counseling or a related field, excellent interpersonal and organizational skills, as well as an enthusiasm for the school’s mission as a Catholic and Xaverian Brothers Sponsored School
The successful candidate will skillfully respond to the personal, social-emotional, and developmental needs of students, as well as provide assistance and encouragement to students as they develop post-secondary plans. He or she will use culturally proficient practices to support and advocate for students and their families. The School Counselor will provide direct service through individual meetings and classroom seminars as well as indirect support through collaboration and consultation with colleagues across disciplines including administration, teachers, and student support service providers.
- Provide academic support and post-secondary planning to a caseload of students in grades 9 through 12, including support with the college application process and assisting students with alternative post-graduation goals
- Ensure use of effective communication to build connections with students and parents/guardians while addressing student needs and refer them to the appropriate school and community resources as needed
- Administer school counseling seminars based on the ASCA School Counseling Model for each grade level, including the use of Naviance as a resource
- Guide each student to create a personalized academic course schedule based on their educational, vocational, and personal goals
- Write recommendation letters including but not limited to those needed for college, private schools, and scholarships
- Participate in the organization and administration of required student testing (PSATs, SATs, AP Exams, etc.)
- Monitor at-risk students and those in danger of not promoting/graduating.
Qualifications & Required Skills:
The successful candidate will hold an MA Degree in School Counseling or a related field. Valid MA School Counselor Licensure preferred.
How to Apply:
The position includes a competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter of interest, resume, and a list of 3 employment references to the attention of Margaret Granados, Principal of Saint John’s High School, at email@example.com no later than March 30, 2021.