Boston College High School, Boston, MA
Accredited by NEASC
Job Summary: The Human Resources Manager (HR) will report to the Senior Vice President Administration, Finance & Strategic Planning, and for issues surrounding faculty, will report directly to the Principal. The HR Manager is responsible for designing and implementing strategy, oversight and day to day management to ensure that BC High’s mission is upheld in its culture, practices, and people. Responsibilities include full-cycle recruiting efforts from drafting job descriptions, to managing the recruiting pipeline and candidate experience, coordinating interviews and facilitating feedback. In addition, this leadership role will include design and oversight of employee wellness programs and relations, compensation, benefits, federal and state law compliance, adjudicating policies and procedures, and advising employees and the school leadership on all human resource matters.
Essential Functions and Key Objectives
Strategist: Support the strategic needs of BC High by articulating the School’s values, and contributing to the development and strengthening of a diverse, inclusive, positive, and supportive community.
- Establish a presence on campus, developing relationships with senior leadership colleagues as well as faculty and staff throughout the school.
- Design hiring and termination practices that fit the School’s mission and that conform with human resources best practices.
Cultural Ambassador: champion BC High’s core values, mission, and culture.
- Collaborate regularly with the Mission, Diversity, and Inclusion Teams on issues related to diversity and inclusivity in the School as a whole, and specifically as these topics relate to recruitment, hiring, and retaining a diverse staff at the School.
- Serve as a central point of contact for people, policy and process questions and assist team members in better understanding how to navigate the organization and where to go for answers.
- Design employee wellness and employee engagement programs to be adopted school-wide.
Talent Acquisition and retention: support full-cycle recruiting efforts from drafting job descriptions, to managing the recruiting pipeline and candidate experience, coordinating interviews and facilitating feedback.
- Manage and participate in all hiring and termination processes.
- Establish process to review hiring and retention success with particular focus on diverse members of the BC High community.
On-Boarding/Off-boarding: as the first point of contact for our new hires, develop and deliver a best in class on-boarding experience for all hires and build effective cross-functional relationships with Finance, IT, Office Management and school leaders to ensure on-boarding training is effective and relevant.
Performance management: Design and implement school-wide performance management review processes, implement personnel policies and procedures; update and continuously improve the Employee Handbook recommending new approaches, policies, and procedures to effect continual improvements in the efficiency of the department and the services performed.
- Work with managers and employees to manage and resolve employee relations matters; educate directors and supervisors on human resources best practices.
Benefits and compensation: Manage the School’s benefits and leaves program including plan design, the introduction of new benefits, vendor relationships, enrollment processes, forecasting and analysis, claims resolution, fiduciary oversight, reporting requirements, and collaborate with Finance on payroll operations.
Compliance: Ensure timely and accurate compliance with all federal and state laws and regulations.
Other: Perform other duties as required and assigned.
Qualifications and Core Competencies
- Alignment with the mission of BC High as a Catholic, Jesuit, educational institution and the ability to articulate and steward the School’s core values.
- A bachelor's degree, master's preferred.
- Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) or similar certification preferred.
- 5-10 years of Human Resources experience with evidence of increasing responsibility and expertise implementing best human resources practices.
- A strategic thinker who encourages collaborative work and measured progress toward goals.
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion.
- Adaptable and able to respond to various competing demands, with the highest level of customer/client service.
- Ability to evaluate and implement appropriate human resources software.
- Excellent computer and analysis skills; expertise in Excel.
- The ability to cultivate and build superior relationships with all employees and applicants.
- Demonstrated time management skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- A strong commitment to education and experience leading diversity and inclusion initiatives.
- Sense of humor and ability to promote positivity.
- A high level of integrity and an extraordinary work ethic.
- Successful completion of a criminal records background check.
- Human Resources