Meridian Academy, Jamaica Plain, MA
Meridian Academy is seeking candidates with demonstrated strengths teaching both English and History to join our Humanities department. For all grades at Meridian, the subjects of history, literature, the English language, the social sciences, and the arts are taught in core, integrated Humanities courses.
Meridian’s curriculum is interdisciplinary and investigation-based. Student problem-posing and analyses are the starting point for long-term, original, creative efforts and research. Classes are typically 90 minutes long to support these in-depth activities.
Meridian Academy is an urban, independent, intentionally small, secondary school in the Jamaica Plain neighborhood of Boston, MA. We serve an economically and racially diverse student body. Our classes have 16 or fewer students.
We are seeking to hire a full-time teacher who would be responsible for teaching two sections of 9th and 10th graders. The curriculum has a two-year cycle between a course on American history, literature, and culture and a course on world history. For more information regarding our Humanities curriculum, please visit www.meridianacademy.org/humanities.
- Teaching 2 integrated 90-minute classes
- Advising students during scheduled blocks and proctoring study hall
- Creating activities that help students develop academic skills, make connections between ideas, master essential knowledge, and grow in their curiosity and creativity
- Modeling original research and mentoring students one-on-one with their research
- Communicating effectively with students and their families
- Developing and implementing methods of assessment that accurately reflect each student's progress with skills, content, and habits of mind
- Using the broader resources of Boston and its environs as an extended classroom
- Two or more years teaching at the secondary level preferred
- A bachelor's degree in a relevant discipline; a master's degree is preferred
- Ability to teach both middle and high school students
- Respect for students’ ideas and willingness to incorporate them into curricula
- A flexible and energetic personality that can work productively in a changing and growing school environment
- Strong interpersonal skills when working with diverse students and families
- Participation in shared decision-making that invites everyone to contribute to the improvement of the school
How to Apply:
- Consult our website to learn more about the school and to gain a fuller picture of the goals and philosophy of Meridian Academy
- Send a résumé and cover letter describing your teaching philosophy with a discussion of some of your work with students to Joshua Abrams at firstname.lastname@example.org
Head of School
Curiosity • Creativity • Community
54 Brookside Avenue Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts 02130
Meridian Academy does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, handicap, or any other protected class in the administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, hiring, and other school-administered programs.