The Bement School, Deerfield, MA
Accredited by AISNE
Interim Head of School Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Serve as the chief liaison between the school (faculty, staff, families) and the Board, including committees.
- Assist the school in transitioning from home learning to in-person/at-school learning following coronavirus “stay at home” orders, including clear communication with all constituents, and lead the school through additional coronavirus responses throughout the year.
- Oversee the work of admission, communications, development, finance, residential life, secondary school placement, and upper and lower school divisions, in partnership with the administrators responsible for these areas.
- Effectively work with the senior administrators to supervise employees, produce smooth day-to-day operations of the school, and meet the goals set out by the Board.
- Work with the senior administrators and the Board of Trustees in offering strategic opportunities for the school and articulating a vision for the future as set out by the Board.
- Manage and support the employee evaluation and contract renewal process, including hiring for any possible vacancies.
- Encourage and cultivate meaningful relationships with school constituents, the local community, and educational organizations. This may include travel.
The ideal Interim Head of School candidate will:
- Be a seasoned educational leader with strong educational credentials and experience with independent elementary and/or middle school education or administration.
- Demonstrate financial acumen related to school finance, fundraising and budgeting.
- Exhibit highly developed oral and written communication skills and demonstrate the ability to use all communication technology to support clear communication with audiences internal and external to the school.
- Have a successful history of positively and effectively responding to the needs and desires of school families, faculty, staff, Board, and administration.
- Have experience in fundraising, networking, marketing and community outreach.
- Demonstrate a commitment to multiculturalism, diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Have experience with curriculum development and related professional development.
- Demonstrate intellectual curiosity and evidence of relevant academic success.
- Exhibit a collaborative and consensus-building leadership style.
- Superior communication skills
- Experience leading and managing educators
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively
- Demonstrated commitment to building relationships with students, educators, senior leadership, community members, and stakeholders from a wide variety of cultures and backgrounds
- Demonstrated experience as liaison between the school (faculty, staff, families) and the Board, including committees
- Significant administrative and professional experience; or master's degree or higher, preferably in educational leadership
- Experience with independent schools and residential or homestay programs
- Experience implementing curriculum
- Ability to navigate complicated health and safety, structural, financial, and other unique challenges
Skills And Abilities:
- Ability to foster collaboration and trust, work collegially and respectfully, and inspire others to higher levels of performance
- Ability to lead with integrity and maintain sound judgment and decision-making even when under pressure
- High energy level and ability to thrive in a transitional educational environment
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to deploy and manage resources effectively with initiative, priority, and time management
- Resourceful, creative, flexible, and motivated
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates for the Interim Head of School position are asked to provide a resume, cover letter, and five professional references with names, phone numbers, and email addresses (references will not be contacted without the candidate's permission) by May 22, 2020. Please note that the Interim Head is not eligible to apply for the Head of School position. The search committee will contact you with any questions. Please submit materials here.