Park School, Brookline, MA
Accredited by AISNE
The Park School is a Pre-K to Grade 8 independent school in Brookline, MA dedicated to excellence in education. The cornerstone of Park's program is academic excellence, combining both high standards of scholarship and the encouragement of each child to develop to his or her greatest potential. Our school community fosters a nurturing environment in which children develop curiosity, express creativity, appreciate the value of hard work and discipline, and experience the joy of learning. Park's faculty encourages each student to strive for intellectual, physical and moral growth and to become contributing members of the community. At the Park School, faculty engage respectfully with families and demonstrate sensitivity to cultures, values, configurations, and beliefs.
The Kindergarten teacher is a member of the school’s Lower Division and reports to the Lower Division Head. This half year position, working from August 23 through January 14, comes with the responsibility of working with faculty and staff to teach Kindergarten in support of the school’s mission and curricular goals. The ideal candidate will bring a history of collaborative, self-directed work as well as a good sense of humor. They will also have at least three years of teaching experience, preferably Kindergarten, and draw upon that understanding to inspire members of the Park community.
In addition to outstanding teaching ability, the position requires expertise with the social and emotional needs of this age group and the ability to balance the encouragement of academic excellence and intellectual growth with the importance of learning through play.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Establish and maintain a healthy and trusting learning environment, fostering nurturing relationships with students
- Design, plan, and implement learning experiences for reading, writing, math, and social studies
- Guide students in their social-emotional development, maintaining expectations and support for positive and productive student behavior
- Collaborate with the Director of Equity and Inclusion to keep multiculturalism and diversity as a priority of curricular work and curriculum development
- Meaningfully integrate technologies into the classroom
- Regularly communicate with families about classroom happenings and student progress
- Update documentation of current curriculum, instruction, and assessment
- Maintain records of individual student progress and achievement
- Partner with Instructional Coaches for individualized professional development
- Participate fully in ongoing professional development
- Participate in the school community, including faculty and committee work, school duties, and activities such as clubs and assemblies
- Bachelor’s in Early Childhood Education, Master’s degree preferred
- Excellent knowledge of child development, latest education theories and practices, and current trends in education and professional development
- Minimum of 3 years of teaching experience, preferably Kindergarten level
- Experience integrating the use of academic technology into classroom teaching
- Familiarity with Lucy Calkins’ Reading and Writing programs
- Experience with Wilson “Fundations” phonics program preferred
- Please visit Park’s career page to complete an application and upload your resume, cover letter, leadership/philosophy statement, and the names of three to five references including two present or past supervisors.
- The Park School welcomes candidates who will add to the diversity of our community and who have demonstrated a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in their teaching and learning.
- The Park School is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, sex, disabilities, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression or family composition or any other status protected by applicable law in the administration of its employment, education, admission, financial aid, and other policies and programs.