Dedham Country Day School, Dedham, MA
Accredited by AISNE
Dedham Country Day School (DCD) seeks a well-qualified full-time library media specialist to join the robust faculty in our Pre-Kindergarten to grade 8 community for the 2020-21 school year. The library media specialist works with library staff, parent volunteers, faculty and students to create a dynamic, engaging and inspiring environment to nurture and instill a love of reading and literature among community members. DCD has a literature-based library program with over 13,000 volumes and maker-space integration. We seek an innovative leader who is passionate about children’s literature, and eager to share it in a variety of formats, working collaboratively with school constituents.
At DCD, our children develop a willingness to try, an ability to do, and a drive to care. We strive to provide a multicultural and anti-bias education which celebrates the diversity of our community and prepares students with the skills they need to connect and thrive in our diverse world. We believe that a broad range of experiences and viewpoints enhances learning and enriches life for students and faculty alike. We strongly encourage applications from people of color or educators from communities that are historically underrepresented in independent schools, and are committed to an inclusive school experience for all who work at DCD. Additionally, DCD places a high value on the professional growth of all faculty and staff and provides outstanding opportunities for individual professional development.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Inspire and support the reading lives of students and faculty by further developing our inclusive collection and promoting literacy goals
- Develop the library curriculum for PreK through grade 5 students, teach weekly classes and provide direction for student book selection
- Lead reading groups as needed and provide middle school students with research assistance and curriculum support
- Evaluate and integrate emerging technologies as well as digital literacy to enhance teaching and learning both in the library and in lower school classrooms
- Provide management and direction for one library staff member and parent library volunteers
- Foster creativity, innovation, and collaboration through reading, storytelling, displays and related activities
- Curate and catalog a robust and diverse collection of literature in a variety of formats
- Coordinate the yearly DCD book fair with outside vendor and parent volunteers
- Participate in the school community as a contributing member, through committee work, regular faculty/staff meetings and professional development opportunities
- Provide weekly coverage for recess and lunch duties
Strong candidates will have:
- Master’s in Library Science or related advanced degree
- A minimum of 2-3 years of teaching experience with library administrative experience preferred
- Knowledge of automated library systems and a willingness to integrate academic technology into the library experience
- Familiarity with lower school literacy curriculum and the administration of libraries
- Strong organizational skills and a passion for literacy, librarianship and working with children
- An eagerness to embrace multicultural perspectives with experience building an inclusive environment and an awareness of anti-bias teaching practices
- A sense of humor and a willingness to be part of a collaborative team
School Mission and Philosophy:
DCD is proud to offer an educational experience that:
- Provides to each child a unique educational balance of challenging academics, arts, and athletics;
- Embraces an inclusive interdependent community of students, teachers, and parents that fosters trust and encourages children to take risks;
- Creates independent, resilient, lifelong learners through engaging, developmentally based teaching designed to meet varied learning styles; and
- inspires students to become caring, ethical members of the larger world by emphasizing thoughtful citizenship and respect for self and others.
Application Information: Dedham Country Day School provides a competitive salary and benefits plan. Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to Katie Ouellette, Special Assistant to the Head of School at email@example.com.
Dedham Country Day School is an independent, coeducational Pre-Kindergarten - Grade 8 school located just west of Boston in Dedham MA. DCD does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, gender, national origin or ancestry, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, or any non-job related physical or mental disability
- media specialist