- Lower School
JCDS, Boston's Jewish Community Day School, Watertown, MA
Accredited by AISNE
JCDS, Boston’s Jewish Community Day School, is committed to serving families across a wide spectrum of belief and practice. The school has several hallmarks: Hebrew and English spoken throughout the day; Jewish and General studies integrated in many areas; a commitment to creative, academic excellence; and living a joyful Jewish life in a welcoming community. JCDS was founded in 1995 and serves students in grades K-8. We encourage everyone in our community to approach life with a growth mindset. We value our professional staff and invest in their ongoing development. Our professional community is rooted in collaboration, generosity of spirit, and a passion for our mission. JCDS is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal opportunity for all employees without regard to race, color, religious creed, national and ethnic origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, or physical disability.
A JCDS teacher models the core values of a JCDS education: integrity, perseverance/resiliency, curiosity, multiple perspectives/empathy, problem-solving, reflection and evidence, and creates a student-centered, rigorous, play-infused learning environment for students.
A lower school general studies teacher co-teaches a class of 24 boys and girls with another teacher. Candidates for this position should demonstrate a passion for teaching young children as well as a deep understanding of how to design and run an academic program that meets the social, emotional, intellectual and physical development of young children. The general studies teacher is responsible for Literacy, Numeracy and Social Studies content and skill acquisition. The candidate should possess excellent communication, organization and class management skills and should demonstrate a desire to work collaboratively with colleagues in the classroom to create a joyful, Jewish learning community.
- Lead instruction in Literacy, Math and Social Studies;
- Lead students in activities to promote their physical, mental and social development and their school readiness;
- Evaluate the progress of students and discuss progress results with students, parents and administrators;
- Develop course materials and curriculum content;
- Set up and maintain a classroom space that supports a project based approach to instruction;
- Identify children’s individual learning needs and design learning experiences to support them;
- Work with other classroom teachers to ensure a cohesive, loving classroom environment
- Proficiency with designing literacy and numeracy learning experiences that are organized around an inquiry/student centered approach to instruction;
- Ability to support the creation of a joyful, Jewish learning environment;
- Demonstrated ability to teach reading, writing and math;
- Demonstrated ability to teach students with diverse learning styles;
- Ability to integrate multicultural perspectives into teaching;
- Commitment to ongoing professional development
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, placing the title of “Lower School General Studies Teacher” in the subject line.
JCDS is a pluralist co-educational Jewish day school serving students from families across a wide spectrum of Jewish beliefs and practices. Visit our website at jcdsboston.org for more information.
JCDS is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal opportunity for all employees without regard to race, color, religious creed, national and ethnic origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, or physical disability.