Buckingham Browne & Nichols School, Cambridge, MA
Accredited by NEASC
Questions about this position should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org- (Please, no phone calls/e-mails to Head’s office and/or HR.)
BB&N is seeking a part-time Lower School Math Specialist for grade 4. The role of the mathematics specialist is vital to the success of students’ mathematics achievement and to the ongoing development of BB&N’s mathematics program. The specialist is available to plan and co-teach with homeroom teachers in the implementation of the mathematics curriculum and to work with teachers to develop grade level common assessments. The focus is to determine appropriate pace and differentiation for each unit of study that will meet the needs of all learners. Having a deep knowledge of mathematics to enrich each grade level’s content is a priority.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Overseeing the implementation of the mathematics curriculum.
- Planning and co-teaching with the homeroom teacher and determining flexible grouping strategies to meet the needs of all learners.
- Collaborating with homeroom teachers on curriculum planning, setting expectations, assessing students’ achievement levels, and assigning students to individual or small group instruction.
- Working with groups or individuals to provide differentiated instruction for specific lessons, skill sets, and/or units of study.
- Attend parent conferences and support report writing.
- Consult with Math Coordinators on curriculum and program changes and working with math coordinator when deemed necessary.
- Any additional responsibilities determined by the LS Director as vital to the successful implementation of the mathematics curriculum.
BB&N, a coeducational day school in Cambridge, MA, was established in 1974 by the merger of two independent schools, the Buckingham School and the Browne & Nichols School, founded respectively in 1889 and 1883. Located on three separate campuses, we work as one School in pursuit of excellence. We celebrate the diversity of our community, which enriches our daily experience. At BB&N we foster intellectual curiosity, critical thinking, and a deep concern and respect for others.
BB&N’s mission is to promote scholarship, integrity, and kindness in diverse, curious, and motivated students. The School prepares students for lives of principled engagement in their communities and the world. We value a diverse and inclusive community that fosters respect for the identities and perspectives of all.
The ideal candidate should haveat least three to five years of full-time teaching experience.
A Bachelor’s degree is required, and a Master’s degree is preferred. In addition, the ideal candidate should have a strong math background, knowledge of the cognitive development of math learners in mid elementary grades, in depth knowledge of different learning styles, and experience coaching teachers to support their ability to differentiate their math instruction.
In addition, the candidate will demonstrate the following:
- Enjoys working with elementary students
- Excellent writing skills
- Ability and desire to collaborate with colleagues
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and parents
- Understand and exhibit high standards of professional conduct
- Curriculum design experience
- Commitment to working in and fostering an inclusive community
Please visit the employment opportunities page at www.bbns.orgor click https://www.bbns.org/about/employment-opportunitiesto complete your online application. Upload from your computer your Cover Letter, Resume, Personal Statement and/or Teaching Philosophy and Reference List.
Buckingham Browne & Nichols School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, gender, national origin or ancestry, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any non-job related physical or mental disability. We welcome candidateswho will increase our diversity; we encourage candidates of color and all diverse candidates to apply.