- Middle School
The Gordon School, East Providence, RI
Accredited by AISNE
The Gordon School is a racially diverse nursery through eighth grade coeducational independent school in East Providence, RI. The curriculum is rooted in multicultural practice and social justice, with an emphasis on developing intellectual leadership, active imagination, and a child’s natural inquisitive nature. Students are challenged and inspired to be active workers toward their own education and teachers strive to develop meaningful relationships with each child and family.
We are seeking a remote learning teacher to work with lower school students (grades K-4) in our Gordon@Home learning program. The Gordon@Home instructor will work with no more than 6 students using a combination of Zoom, Seesaw, and Google Classroom. Students enrolled in the program will receive instruction via a combination of zooming with their on campus teacher and classmates, as well as virtual small group check ins and one on ones with their @Home teacher who will provide instructional support for lessons in math, reading, and writing. The ideal candidate will have an understanding of elementary school practice and pedagogy and possess a willingness to partner with colleagues and parents to ensure the social, emotional and academic well being of students remotely.
Prerequisites for the Position
- Possess an undergraduate degree at a minimum
- Have experience working with children of this age and with their parents
- Appreciate and enjoy working with children of this age
- Be energetic, creative, flexible, resilient and open to change and new ideas
- Possess good organizational capabilities and be able to implement these effectively
- Have strong interpersonal skills which support and engender trust and be able to work as a positive member of a team of teachers
- Have a deep sense of community, be respectful of adults and children, understand and respect human differences and support multicultural practice and pedagogy especially through a virtual experience
- Have experience working in a racially diverse community
- Be a thoughtful and effective listener
- Be able to communicate with parents, colleagues, and students clearly and accurately, both orally and in writing
- Have a strong sense of self, a good sense of humor, and a positive outlook on one’s professional endeavors
- Familiarity and comfort with digital platforms like Zoom, Seesaw and Google Classroom
Duties and Expectations
- Report to the Lower School Division Director
- Extend math, reading and writing curriculum to lower school students enrolled in Gordon @Home
- Connect with @Home families
- Meet virtually with grade level teachers to collaborate on curriculum plans and student needs
- Assess students as they progress through the curriculum and document their progress.
- Help to coordinate Zoom meetings for students who are learning remotely.
- Teach Remotely using Zoom, google classroom, Seesaw or other digital learning platforms
- Build an online community with the Gordon@Home students and families
Maryanne Pieri, Director of Early Childhood and Lower School, firstname.lastname@example.org