- Information Technology
Buckingham Browne & Nichols, Cambridge, MA
Accredited by NEASC
Questions about this position should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org - (Please, no phone calls/e-mails to Head’s office and/or HR.)
BB&N is seeking a Middle School Academic Technology Specialist for a one-year appointment. This position is responsible for supporting the Middle School faculty and students in their use of technology. All teachers and students are equipped with Mac laptops. This position is based out of our Middle School (grades 7-8) but also supports certain Upper School needs. We seek an experienced educator with a contagious enthusiasm for using technology in creative, collaborative, and inquiry-based learning. This is a one-year full-time 11-month position (with the possibility of being re-hired) reporting to the director of information technology. This position also has indirect reporting to the middle school campus director. Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Manage student technology orientation for the opening of the school year.
- Orient and support new teachers in using our digital systems and software.
- Support classroom projects throughout the year (incorporating technology) to ensure equipment and software are prepared, and that all of the teachers’ needs are supported.
- Manage the readiness and loan process of various spare laptops, iPads, and other equipment.
- Manage the organization of makerspace equipment, tools, and supplies.
- Support and train teachers and students using the makerspace tools and equipment.
- Support teachers who are exploring new uses of technology, including launch grant recipients.
- Nurture relationships with teachers to support their use of educational technology.
- Collaborate with librarians to teach software, systems, policies, and research to students.
- Support teachers in developing and improving LMS class websites for instructional purposes.
- Troubleshoot, resolve, or escalate common technology problems for teachers.
- Assist with audio-visual support and technology community presentations, including some evening events.
- Support the use of laptops, iPads, and audio recording software for Upper School exams.
- Collaborate with the B-12 academic technology team to develop and execute goals.
- Post photo examples of technology projects on our blog.
- Teach a technology elective, and nurture student technology clubs and student helpers.
- Seek out and sustain connections to local organizations and schools to leverage the growth of our academic program, and to provide real-world learning opportunities for students.
BB&N, a coeducational day school in Cambridge, MA, was established in 1974 by the merger of two independent schools, the Buckingham School and the Browne & Nichols School, founded respectively in 1889 and 1883. Located on multiple campuses, we work as one School in pursuit of excellence. We celebrate the diversity of our community, which enriches our daily experience. At BB&N we foster intellectual curiosity, critical thinking, and a deep concern and respect for others.
BB&N’s mission is to promote scholarship, integrity, and kindness in diverse, curious, and motivated students. The School prepares students for lives of principled engagement in their communities and the world. We value a diverse and inclusive community that fosters respect for the identities and perspectives of all.
The ideal candidate should demonstrate:
- Classroom teaching experience at the Middle School level.
- Bachelor’s degree in education or equivalent experience.
- Significant experience using technology resources in an educational setting.
- Background or interest in design thinking protocols and interdisciplinary learning.
- Experience collaborating with teachers to integrate technology resources.
- Experience with Mac OS, Google Apps for Education, Microsoft Office, Adobe Suite, teacher websites, and various software, hardware and peripherals for classroom use.
- Ability to articulate a compelling, energetic, and compassionate vision for academic technology.
- Excellent communication & organization skills: written, oral, listening, managing, executing.
- Collaborative working style, responsible team member, flexible and willing to pitch in to do whatever needs to be done
- Good sense of humor!
Please visit our employment opportunities page at www.bbns.org or https://www.bbns.org/about/employment-opportunities. Please upload your cover letter, resume and list of references.
Buckingham Browne & Nichols School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, gender, national origin or ancestry, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any non-job related physical or mental disability. We welcome candidates who will increase our diversity; we encourage candidates of color and all diverse candidates to apply.