- Middle School
Inly School, Scituate, MA
Accredited by AISNE and AMS
Inly School is an independent Toddler–Grade 8 Montessori+ School located in Scituate, MA, 25 miles south of Boston. The School has a student population of approximately 290 students, 67 employees, and serves 20 towns on the South Shore. At Inly, our dynamic Montessori+ practices inspire our inclusive community of learners to explore and shape ourselves and the world with joyful persistence, curiosity, and compassion.
The Middle School Director reports directly to the Head of School and is a member of the school’s administrative team. The Director partners with the Primary and Elementary School Directors and is directly responsible for overseeing the academics, scheduling, and faculty development.
The Director works collaboratively with the Directors of Primary and Elementary School and the Head, to help shape and direct the mission of the school, and ensure that the workings of the school support the mission. In addition, the Middle School Director will also collaborate with the Head of School, Director of the Office of Inclusion and the Director of Learning Services on inclusive and culturally responsive pedagogical practice. This includes curriculum alignment, development, implementation, and review.
As we look to the future, we are committed to deepening our connection to cosmic education as established in our Montessori identity as well as educational equity. The school looks forward to embracing a visionary leader who joyfully uplifts the tenets of innovation, cultural competency, and inclusivity. We invite you to consider: What inspires your instructional practice? How can you help find opportunities to leverage data collection towards knowing our students and families more intimately? How do you encourage collaboration and honest reflection? The leadership and interpersonal skills we value are empathy, integrity, creative problem solving, flexibility, enthusiasm, authenticity and assertive communication style. As we shift into a new organizational model, candidates should be able to demonstrate some comfort toggling between technical and adaptive change.
Oversees teaching and learning at Inly School, in conjunction with the the Primary and Lower School Directors and the Ed Leadership team.
- Align critical teaching and learning concepts with the Montessori method pedagogy for 6–8
- Provide supports that foster critical-thought culture within the school by being a part of the Education Leadership Team
- Communicate school-wide programs and anticipated actions with the support of data in weekly level meetings in the Middle School and Co-Curricular Programs
- Provide specific structures for improving the curriculum and its delivery through consensus building, and standardization of process, at level meetings and beyond (including support and direct feedback for teachers)
- Work with leadership and directors to establish priorities for instructional focus
- Act as advisor to the Head of School on matters impacting curriculum, faculty, teaching materials, schedules, classroom environments, staffing, and professional development
- Observe and mentor faculty in Montessori methodology, curriculum, classroom management, school environments, parent relationships, and student needs
- Participate in weekly meetings with Learning Services Team to: respond to student needs, target level-wide subject areas for instructional improvement, aggregate and use data
- Collaborate with Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion to enhance students’ character education through relevant programs, affinity groups, and workshops.
- Serve as school liaison to the Parent’s Group
- Partner with the admission team to help communicate the values of the Inly curriculum
- Partner with teaching teams to help communicate the Inly curriculum and student growth to internal constituencies
- Engage with families and teachers seeking guidance, support, and connection
- Maintain budgetary records
- Oversees process and all applications for Secondary Schools
- Plays a key role on the safety and emergency response team
Direct Faculty Growth and Supervision:
- Oversee the evaluation of faculty members, and Professional Growth Plans for faculty members in the Middle School and Co-Curricular Programs; foster the continued learning and professional development of teachers through coaching cycles, observation and reflection, as well as co-planning
- Participate in recruitment efforts to attract, develop, and retain a diverse teaching staff and oversee hiring policies, protocols and faculty hiring process, working with Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, teachers and administrators
- Oversee classroom record keeping and report writing for grades 7 and 8
- Monitors coordination between classrooms and programs at the Middle School Level
- Bachelor's Degree
- Advanced degree in education, curriculum, or administration preferred
- Montessori training in Lower and/or Upper Elementary required
- 3-5 years experience in educational administration required
- Classroom teaching experience required
- A strong grasp of Montessori principles and philosophy
- Familiarity with the Orton-Gillingham Approach, as well as Fountas & Pinnell’s Benchmark Assessment System and Guided Reading
- Familiarity with Teachers College Writing Workshop
- Familiarity with Responsive Classroom and Positive Discipline
- Occasional lifting, bending and climbing stairs
- Frequent talking, listening, walking, sitting and standing
- Ability to perform multiple concurrent tasks and function in a fast-paced working environment
- Competitive pay
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Company-paid life insurance; supplemental life insurance available
- 401(k) plan with matching employer contributions
- Paid vacation, holidays, sick and personal time
- Flexible spending plans for both medical and dependent care
- Tuition assistance
To apply for this position, please email your resumé and cover letter to Donna Milani Luther, Head of School at firstname.lastname@example.org