Brimmer and May, Chestnut Hill, MA
Accredited by NEASC
The Brimmer and May School, a co-educational day school in Chestnut Hill, MA is seeking a full time Middle School English teacher for the 2021-2022 school year. The position includes teaching 6th grade English, 6th and 8th grade drama, as well as directing the Middle School fall play and spring musical and serving as a Middle School advisor. The ideal candidate will have a BA in English, the Humanities, Theater, Education, or a related field (Masters preferred), 3-5 years of experience teaching in both disciplines, and a passion for working with middle school students in and outside of the classroom. Developing fundamental skills in writing, reading comprehension, grammar, and research, as well as higher order skills, are an essential part of this position, as is the desire to collaborate with other members of the Middle School faculty. Brimmer and May School faculty are active members of the school community who are committed to collaborating and growing in their teaching practice, supporting diverse learners in the classroom, connecting with students outside the classroom, and have the ability to self-reflect on their own practice. Commitment to professional development, growth, and collaboration are imperative to be a successful member of the Brimmer faculty. We seek an individual with a growth mindset who is proficient incorporating emerging technologies into their instruction, seeks to grow through professional development, has a willingness to support the mission of the school, provides student-centered learning opportunities, and who will work to implement culturally responsive and anti-racist curriculum and pedagogy in alignment with the School’s DEI goals and initiatives. Flexibility, adaptability, a collaborative spirit, and a positive attitude are essential.
- Plan and teach 6th grade English and 6th and 8th grade drama.
- Direct the Middle School fall play and spring musical.
- Work collaboratively with the Creative Arts and Humanities teams and with other departments
- Serve as an advisor to 6-8 students in the Middle School
- Supervise two study halls a week as well as break and lunch once a week
- Help foster a positive working and educational environment for students and colleagues and support the school’s mission, vision, and values
- Work with students outside of classroom time as needed
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and attention to detail
- Punctuality and dependability
- Adherence to all personal policies, procedures, and rules contained in the Brimmer and May Faculty and Staff Handbooks
This position reports the Head of Middle School and the Creative Arts and Humanities Department Chairs
Please send a cover letter and resume to Carl Vallely, Head of Middle School and Co-Director of Faculty Recruitment, CVallely@brimmer.org
Brimmer is an equal opportunity employer. We select the best qualified applicant for the job based on job-related qualifications, regardless of age, race, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, familial or marital status, national origin, ancestry, or any other characteristic protected from discrimination under state or federal law. As an inclusive community, we welcome candidates who will increase the diversity of our school, especially candidates who self-identify as BIPOC.